Ryzen 4000 early prepping

Soldato
Yes yes, I know as a minumum these are going to be about 4 weeks IF we are lucky, so I am jumping ahead a bit. But I am getting excited and thought it doesnt hurt to start theory crafting in advance. I use my PC for gaming and very little else, I want to get into +60hz gaming, I already game at 1440p, but would be looking for 120hz+ 1440p gaming setup, as currently run 60hz/fps.

So the guts of my current build is 9/10 years old and is as follows:

Intel i7-2600k Sandybridge clocked at 4.2ghz
BeQuiet Dark Rock 2 Pro cooler
MSI P67A-GD65 motherboard
16GB Mushkin DDR3 1600mhz
EVGA 1070 8GB
Corsair HX850 PSU
250GB sata SSD
1T Sata SSD

I plan on replacing CPU/motherboard/RAM, keep the graphics card for now, I will of course re-use the drives, probably the PSU as its a good unit, I might get a new case but that is more of a personal choice.

So, things I have questions with, and or need suggestions:

1. CPU cooler - is this going to fit on a new AMD CPU? If so I would just re-use this as it's a very good cooler, if not, any suggestions? I am 50/50 on whether to stick with air cooler or go for one of those pre-made closed loop CPU water coolers. I think I would prefer just to stick to an air cooler as there is less to go wrong, but open to suggestions/recommendations.

2. Motherboard - this is where I am failing badly on recent knowledge, are current motherboards already compatible? Will there be new motherboards launched with the new CPU's? I would rather not have to flash a BIOS if I can avoid it, and would prefer to buy one that is just plug and play with a Ryzen 4000. Also, I have no idea on motherboards, I generally prefer MSI from my own experience and what I have read over the years, and would rather avoid Asus for the same reasons. I don't mind spending more on a decent motherboard. Needs to be minimum 64GB RAM compatible, and ideally some good overclocking support.

3. RAM, again, no idea, looking for 64GB off the bat, just in 2x32GB DIMMS as I have read Ryzens dont like all 4 DIMM slots filled.

4. The CPU itself!!! So, for gaming, I am guessing, 8 core tops and highest clock speed?

5. Monitor, current DELL 1440p IPS panel is ok, but limited to 60hz it isnt a gaming monitor as such, I am after a new 1440p 120hz+ monitor, obviously for gaming the higher refersh rate etc the better, as for IPS I am actually not that bothered, honestly I think it a little bit of a marketting thing because I look at this IPS panel compared to a "regular" (for lack of a better term) LED monitor I dont really notice any difference in colour depth etc. Also "G sync" - how does this work? I know very roughly this is where the monitor will keep the refresh rate in line with how much FPS the GPU can deliver, I think this would be a good thing to have.

....budget, I am guessing a monitor, £400, CPU, £400? decent motherboard and RAM £400? £1200 total? - I also appreciate that as the 4000 CPU's are not yet released it would be guess work for the price. Cooler on top, £80?

Thank you :)

Soldato
B550 boards and x570 boards should have a quick flash option. But yes, they will need updating. X670 would be plug and play but £££

8 core and push speed as fast as you can with some good ram ! Should be able to handle 4000hz easily if you've got the cash or overclock ability with good 3600hz kit

Memory controller should be better then Zen1 and Zen2 hopefully. 64GB would be overkill currently .

You'd be looking at mid/end November

Soldato
will of course re-use the drives, probably the PSU as its a good unit, I might get a new case but that is more of a personal choice.

1. CPU cooler - is this going to fit on a new AMD CPU? If so I would just re-use this as it's a very good cooler, if not, any suggestions? I am 50/50 on whether to stick with air cooler or go for one of those pre-made closed loop CPU water coolers. I think I would prefer just to stick to an air cooler as there is less to go wrong, but open to suggestions/recommendations.

2. Motherboard - this is where I am failing badly on recent knowledge, are current motherboards already compatible? Will there be new motherboards launched with the new CPU's? I would rather not have to flash a BIOS if I can avoid it, and would prefer to buy one that is just plug and play with a Ryzen 4000. Also, I have no idea on motherboards, I generally prefer MSI from my own experience and what I have read over the years, and would rather avoid Asus for the same reasons. I don't mind spending more on a decent motherboard. Needs to be minimum 64GB RAM compatible, and ideally some good overclocking support.

3. RAM, again, no idea, looking for 64GB off the bat, just in 2x32GB DIMMS as I have read Ryzens dont like all 4 DIMM slots filled.

4. The CPU itself!!! So, for gaming, I am guessing, 8 core tops and highest clock speed?
With the size of games and todays SSD prices that tiny 250GB drive has little value, unless there's room for drives in case.
I mean Modern Warfare (against drive space) alone would basically fill it completely.

Also games might start to be developed to actually be able to use faster transfer rates of NVMes.
Already basic level NVMe like WD Blue SN550 is capable to quadrupled speed compared to SATA SSD.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0c-hd-56l-wd.html

You need new cooler, because BeQuiet doesn't have (at least officially) AM4 mounting kit for that cooler:
https://www.bequiet.com/en/contact/coolermounting
Good news is that there's better than ever choise of heatpipe coolers with also very good prices. (£50 gives very good ones)
And with AMD having quite honest TDPs there isn't even need for the absolutely best cooler.

While there's possibly new X670 chipset coming, all B550 and X570 boards will get Zen3 support.
Though after shining in B450, MSI tried riding on old reputation and copypasted same VRM to many X570 boards making almost half the range completely substandard for the price.
(while Asus and Gigabyte who pretty much sold scams in B450 did u-turn)

Though not so great thing in X570 boards is fan containing active chipset cooler, whose design is far from equally good on different brands:
Gigabyte and MSI used common sense with actually good size heatsink and fan positioned farther from graphics card's heat allowing mostly passive cooling.
Asus again went marketing's arse first with small heatsinks under marketing covers relying on constant airflow from with everything positioned perfectly for bathing in graphics card's heat.
Should be easy to deduct different reactions to chipset fan's possible failure...

And updating BIOS to support new CPU couldn't be easier.
You don't even need booting capable PC for upgrading motherboard's BIOS:

32GB of memory is pretty much overkill at the moment for gaming and it will be many many years before even the most demanding games start hitting that.
Just for comparison next-gen consoles coming before Christmas have 16GB, which has to be enough for both CPU and GPU, while PC graphics card has its own memory.
(instead they'll rely on streaming data from SSD just before use)

If you're willing to later upgrade to higher core count model from discounts, 8 core is bang per buck choise.
But if you want one shot longest usage life I would give that position for 12 core. (or possible rumored 10 core with 5+5 config on chiplets)
Those next-gen consoles will bring 8 core CPU as standard for next-gen games.
So heavy multithreading will be the direction future games are going.
Higher core count models higher in product line up will also have higher automatic boost clocks of the most loaded cores.

Soldato
Monitor, current DELL 1440p IPS panel is ok, but limited to 60hz it isnt a gaming monitor as such, I am after a new 1440p 120hz+ monitor, obviously for gaming the higher refersh rate etc the better, as for IPS I am actually not that bothered, honestly I think it a little bit of a marketting thing because I look at this IPS panel compared to a "regular" (for lack of a better term) LED monitor I dont really notice any difference in colour depth etc. Also "G sync" - how does this work?
If you're after 27" monitor there's plenty of choise with prices starting from £300 and below. (again 32" selection is really lacking)
Though those cheaper ones sRGB gamut monitors.
But in general HDR this and that advertisizing is basically full on scamming doing nothing to LCD's problems with true local dimming FALD back lights still pretty much MIA.
HDR1000 is first spec which really needs better backlight capable to giving darker black and actually higher contrast.
Also Corona virus has no doubt caused further delays to many already many times delayed monitors.

This is what edge light of HDR600 looks:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/ihvfyd/the_lg_27gn950_is_awesome_but_hdr_600_is_pretty/
Marketroids hyping that should be used as lab rats for studying Corona and other viruses...

G-sync works by syncing your butt to be Nvidia's bitch and only sensible action is disregarding it.
VESA's Adaptive Sync aka FreeSync is what you want.
It works with any graphics card, including coming Intel's discrete gaming GPUs.

Soldato
OP
@EsaT

@orbitalwalsh

Thanks for your replies, sorry I know I said gaming I do actually need 64GB RAM for something.

Yes probably just stick at 27" for a monitor.

So I take on board what you say, I'll skip the nvme for now, I keep the is on the 250gb and steam on 1T seems to work.

So, start speccing, RAM, motherboard, cooler? (On OCUK) Monitor?

EDIT: Like this? (THE CPU IS ADDED JUST AS A EXAMPLE, I WILL BNE WAITING FOR 4000 SERIES)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,300.65 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Last edited:
Soldato
looking good, if your looking for RTX 3*** , either 3070 or 3060 to replace your 1070 which will offer GREATLY improved performance , either 165hz 1440p or IPS panel .

Total: £673.14 (includes shipping: £13.20)

personally dont mind VA, specially as my TV us VA but most go by IPS
wouldn't need 64GB ram, 32 is FINE! overkill for most!

dont need wifi ,

Total: £219.98 (includes shipping: £0.00)

if you do

Total: £284.94 (includes shipping: £0.00)

this is plenty

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-dark-rock-4-cpu-cooler-hs-01d-bq.html

also, looking at x570.. when ryzen 4*** is launched, so will X670 Boards with more m.2 ii believe or better connectivity​

Soldato
OP
Yeah I dont need wifi, sorry should have specified my router is right next to my PC so I have it hardwired. That Gigabyte motherboard looks nice, I dont mind Gigabyte just very wary of Asus to the point where actually unless there was very hard clear evidence they have improved I just wouldnt buy one. I have read too many bad things and in real life had several fail on me.

Also, I know the 32GB RAM thing.... I NEED 64GB for a bit of software I use. Otherwise thanks for the suggestions. I note you have listed 3200mhz, is there an advantage to get faster?

I am still thinking about coolers, I know practicality and price air coolers are better, its just AIO coolers do look better (purely aesthetics) I also note some of the nzxt AIO coolers ship with a 6 year warranty which is a plus, not having a massive heat sink hanging off your motherboard etc....I think with cooling as well, I dont mind overkill, infact I welcome it, I have this little theory about heat and the longetivity of PC hardware. Although again, I appreciate air coolers for raw cooling are possibly better anyway.

The monitors look good, a bit more than the one I had looked at but I had budgeted £400 anyway.

Soldato
aorus board just a bit cheaper due to being B550 chipset vs the x570. the Toma is a very well designed board as well, although it took FAR too long to come to market !

3600hz will perform better in theory, if the CL timing is low , but thatt can add extra costs .

Total: £585.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

vs

Total: £530.44 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Cons, more sticks but Zen3 should have better mem controller as well as easily supporting 4000hz . just another train of thought

believe these can be OC to 3600hz- but again 4 sticks
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...dual-channel-kit-pvs432g320c6k-my-106-pa.html

CLC/AIO units look good, but have higher rate of failure with the consequences. Pump goes, no warning in place the whole thing fails/cooks. Air cooler, easier to tell if a fan is failing and a swap with a different can be done there and then .

Aorus and NZXT latest booth use Latest Asetek 6th gen pump . Both have Oled screens with Aorus being slightly better at cooling. Although for half the price you can get a full copper, proper AIO set up via Alphacool. And then... will they fit in your current case?

Total: £824.85 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Soldato
Don't buy stupid overpriced RAM that will get you 2% extra performance, get a decent set of 2x 32GB DIMM's I've just used 2x Patriot Viper Blackout (PVB464G360C8K) for a total of 128GB on a Threadripper build and they were rock solid with great timings at C16, and only cost ~£250 per 64GB kit.

Also you comment with regards to having all the RAM slots filled on Ryzen depends on the IMC and the speed you want to run the RAM at, the new Zen3 could have a much better IMC, but you won't know that until it is released, and that will also depend on the IF speeds as well. If they are as good as the Renoir chips then IF could be 2200MHz+

Soldato
just downside like corsair is which IC you get

They are binned Hynix M-die, it's OK stuff easily takes 1.5v if you want to try and get it running faster/tighter.

Ram is out standing pricing
Pretty sure that is the standard price now for 64GB kits, bearing in mind OCUK are selling 32GB for ~£80 for 3200MHz stuff, it's 3x the price for 2x the capacity, and only slightly faster. :)

Soldato
They are binned Hynix M-die, it's OK stuff easily takes 1.5v if you want to try and get it running faster/tighter.

Pretty sure that is the standard price now for 64GB kits, bearing in mind OCUK are selling 32GB for ~£80 for 3200MHz stuff, it's 3x the price for 2x the capacity, and only slightly faster. :)

Sorry, had pulled up 3200hz data .

I run 1.8v through my Samsung B-die. Just fine , think most ram kits can handle 1.55v daily . Might as well put the heatsinks to some sort of use haha

I think for the CL timings it's good price. Corsair has always been costly retail side !

Nice review on the ram.. but my overvolting goes out the window due to lack of thermal pads...

https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/patriot_viper_4_blackout_3600_64gb/

Sticky pad instead of thermal pad.. this is begging to be bought and swapped with some high grade stuff layering around... Mmm

Soldato
OP
Yea I am not that bothered over RAM, if there is only a few percent margin between 3200/3600 I'll just get 3200 if it's a fair bit cheaper and has better availability.

I think I'll bite the bullet on that MSI board if nothing better comes out of the woodwork between now and Zen 3 launch, I know it's more expensive plus I'm paying some for a WiFi feature I'll probably never use, but I like MSI for boards.

Anyway, I know I'm jumping the gun a bit but it's nice to get a better idea, get some costings etc. I am very keen to get going as soon as Zen 3 drops really.

Soldato
Silver overhype gunk hasn't been any top paste in long long time. (in a agalaxy far away)
Most good coolers come bundled with same level TIM.

Also motherboards come with at least couple SATA cables.

I am still thinking about coolers, I know practicality and price air coolers are better, its just AIO coolers do look better (purely aesthetics) I also note some of the nzxt AIO coolers ship with a 6 year warranty which is a plus, not having a massive heat sink hanging off your motherboard etc...
AMD is quite honest with TDPs and you don't need kilogram and half weight cooler for therm.
Especially up to 8 core models are very frugal and don't see Zen3 changing that with improvements in manufacturing node.

That VA seems to be typical one with some challenges in darker colour transitions.
https://www.displayninja.com/gigabyte-g27qc-review/
IPS is quite certain to have better response times for those transitions.
Though of course VA's superior contrast gives better looking image, if room is darker.

Associate
Yeah I dont need wifi, sorry should have specified my router is right next to my PC so I have it hardwired. That Gigabyte motherboard looks nice, I dont mind Gigabyte just very wary of Asus to the point where actually unless there was very hard clear evidence they have improved I just wouldnt buy one. I have read too many bad things and in real life had several fail on me.

Asus’s X570 motherboards are great, I have just bought a Crosshair VIII hero and also have a Strix X570-E and am really happy!

Suspended
Asus’s X570 motherboards are great, I have just bought a Crosshair VIII hero and also have a Strix X570-E and am really happy!

I wouldn't recommend them.

I have the Asus X570 Strix and it's the most temperamental mobo I've ever used.

Don't think I've reset cmos this much with any mobo (you even have to reset cmos for bios updates), also you have to do it the old way with a screwdriver... Bit retro if you like that sort of thing but I don't, plus it only works half the time so get used doing this a lot.

Also the fans are constantly audible, if you have quiet system you'll hear them, chipset temps are also on the high side. I've been on their forum and apparently it's normal.

Soldato
Also the fans are constantly audible, if you have quiet system you'll hear them, chipset temps are also on the high side. I've been on their forum and apparently it's normal.
Natural consequence from design by marketroids cooling:
With small chipset heatsink hidden under those big marketing BS covers...
And relying on constant airflow from fan...
With everything put directly under graphics card to be bathed in its heat.

Back
Top Bottom