Ryzen 4000 early prepping

Suspended
Natural consequence from design by marketroids cooling:
With small chipset heatsink hidden under those big marketing BS covers...
And relying on constant airflow from fan...
With everything put directly under graphics card to be bathed in its heat.

You would have hoped Asus would take account of this and design something, better... Especially considering the price premium for their products.

Oh well, of all the issues with this board that's actually the least annoying. :o

Soldato
You would have hoped Asus would take account of this and design something, better... Especially considering the price premium for their products.
You forgot the part of Asus having long been one of the biggest sellers of graphics cards, which dump their heat inside case instead of blowing it out.
So it's not like they couldn't find parts to test it...

Soldato
OP
Ok guys, I have a list closer to being finalised now (minus the CPU), what do you think of the motherboard?

I also did a complete 180 on the cooler, yes I know the potential risks of failure of an AIO, and that the cooler is overkill maybe, but...... it'll fit so nicely with that case top mounted and look great, also nzxt do ship with a 6 year warranty which gives me confidence.

I plan on mounting the full fan setup, so 3 intake fans down the side, 3 intake fans on the bottom, and the radiator on top. I will take the fans out of my current case I have 6 I think, 120mm fans already.

I do have another question though, I am assuming to run 6 fans I will need some kind of fan controller? The fans I have work off the little 3 pin PWN connections, and I believe most motherboards only have 3 of these? Also I am not sure about the cooler itself either in terms of what connection powers that?

Thanks guys!

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,048.87 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Soldato
As Micky says the A-pro is a terrible board, get a b550 tomahawk instead for around the same price and it's very good both in terms of features and VRM

Since you only use the PC for gaming then get 32gb ram at most, if you want stuff that overclocks well since ryzen 4000 is supposed to have a better memory controller then go for an 8 pack dark pro 32gb kit which should hit 4000+ no problem.

Soldato
especially if the price sweetspot stays at 1tb.

That's very unlikely unless you are buying three drives in the space of 6-12 months. Samsung are already at 176-layer NAND, and looking at 192+ from next year, with the a prediction of up to 500 layer-NAND by 2024. all of which mean more storage in less space. :)

Noting wrong with having more slots though, but you can always whack an M.2 PCI-E adapter card in PCI-E slot if you have to temporarily.

Associate
That's very unlikely unless you are buying three drives in the space of 6-12 months. Samsung are already at 176-layer NAND, and looking at 192+ from next year, with the a prediction of up to 500 layer-NAND by 2024. all of which mean more storage in less space. :)

Noting wrong with having more slots though, but you can always whack an M.2 PCI-E adapter card in PCI-E slot if you have to temporarily.

Good to know - they fill up fast!

Soldato
OP
Half tempted to start ordering bits in advance, with the theory of I have everything I need except the CPU on launch I can grab that, as it'll be typical that I'll be able to get the CPU and something else will be out of stock.

I know this a question for OCUK more, but you guys might know? - if I order say 5 things on a list and some of them are out of stock, do they part ship the in-stock parts, and only charge what they dispatch? Or take whole payment and wait until everything is in stock?

Soldato
Half tempted to start ordering bits in advance, with the theory of I have everything I need except the CPU on launch I can grab that, as it'll be typical that I'll be able to get the CPU and something else will be out of stock.
Do it, just spend next few weeks looking out for good deals on individual components.

Soldato
OP
Ok orders made.

I put as much love OCUK's way as I could.

Just hope the Ryzen 4000's dont get delayed for too long.... although the monitor I will just start using straight away anyway.

Soldato
OP
What did you choose?

CPU to come obviously.

Drives and PSU I will re-use from old case, plus I have (at least) 3 fans I can re-use from old case, the old case actually has 6 in total, but 3 were already integrated with teh case so I dont know if I can re-use or not, part of buying things in advance I guess so I can see if there are little bits I need.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,108.87 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Back
Top Bottom