Ryzen 4000 early prepping

Soldato
OP
....thread that keeps coming back......

So looking carefully at the specs on that cooler, pretty sure I am going to need a fan controller as each of the 3 fans on the cooler have individual pwm connection plus I plan on adding a further 6 120mm fans.

Anyone recommend one? Don't need anything fancy (at all) doesn't need to be RGB, or have any kind of display, just literally something I can plug lots of fans in.

Don't even necessarily be able to change the fan speed on the fly either as long as I can set it once, then just put it in the case.

Edit: possibly answered my own question but looks like what I am after is more a PWM hub, then a fan controller as such, seems they can be picked up for about £12, thermaltake do one.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Lol no fan controller/PWM hub in the case, infact there is very little in there are all, just the essential cables for the front panel. I am guessing that is part of how Lian Li keeps the cost down on that case. I knew it didnt ship with any fans but if anything I prefer that.

The motherboard only had 2 sata data cables.

The PWM hub Ive seen should do it, you plug in into a SATA power, and there is a "signal cable" which plugs into one of the motherboard PWM ports, which I guess then allows you to control the fan speeds, I am pretty certain that means all fans connected to it cannot be individually controlled and rather all fans conencted through the hub controlled as one, but that is fine for me anyway.

I am going to start "dry fitting" some of the PC this weekend I think.

Soldato
Depending on the motherboard, you shouldn't need a fan controller. I currently use the sysfan headers for all case fans which are controlled with either a custom curve or manual presets using the Gigabyte utilities software - I have been using it this way for 5 years and it's never caused an issue.

Soldato
OP
Depending on the motherboard, you shouldn't need a fan controller. I currently use the sysfan headers for all case fans which are controlled with either a custom curve or manual presets using the Gigabyte utilities software - I have been using it this way for 5 years and it's never caused an issue.

I will have 9 case fans :)

Thats not including the AIO pump which pretty sure connects to a further.

Soldato
I will have 9 case fans :)

Thats not including the AIO pump which pretty sure connects to a further.

So I previously used a splitter, so 2 per header and the AIO pump will connect to the pump header (on newer boards) or the CPU header on older boards. The AIO may have it's own controller for the fans. I know the older corsair units would have the fans connect to the pump shroud.

Soldato
OP
So I previously used a splitter, so 2 per header and the AIO pump will connect to the pump header (on newer boards) or the CPU header on older boards. The AIO may have it's own controller for the fans. I know the older corsair units would have the fans connect to the pump shroud.

No it doesnt, wierdly, each fan (3 in total) has its own PWM connection seperate to the pump, so thats 9 PWM fan conencxtions in total + pump.

I did look at the splitters, but this PWM hub is only £12 and means I can hide more cables behind also.

Soldato
OP
Ouch!

Which AIO did you go for?

Nzxt x73 (I think) 360mm rad but doesn't have the full LCD display, just the version with the RGB light and logo.

It's the 6 year warranty that sold it for me, also 360mm probably overkill but it'll fit nicely across the top of the case, I'm trying to get an even balance on performance, practicality but also aesthetics.

Also, although it's not the newer (and very expensive) version with the full LCD display, what I did find out is that the RGB is programmable and you can link it to the CPU temp, so basically have a custom colour scale from dark blue through to red based on CPU temp so at a glance you could see how hot your CPU is, also handy if the pump ever fails because it'll be obvious that the temp skyrockets on start up just by looking at it.

I'm generally not into RGB, infact thatll bevgbe only RGB thing in the build, but I like that feature. You can also turn the 'nzxt' logo off in the centre as well.

Soldato
OP
With the size of games and todays SSD prices that tiny 250GB drive has little value, unless there's room for drives in case.
I mean Modern Warfare (against drive space) alone would basically fill it completely.

Also games might start to be developed to actually be able to use faster transfer rates of NVMes.
Already basic level NVMe like WD Blue SN550 is capable to quadrupled speed compared to SATA SSD.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0c-hd-56l-wd.html

Hi,

Talk to me more about these drives, I know nothing about nvme drives, to the point I had to watch a YouTube just to see what it looks like and where it plugs in.

So....

The motherboard I have (MSI x570 tomahawk) will have PCI-E 4.0 once I have the Zen 3 CPU in.

So with my basic knowledge, I know I need to get a PCI-E based nvme NOT m.2?

Is that right?

Could you recommend a larger 1-2tb? PCI-E 4.0 nvme?

I'm not 100% sure but looking around it seems the price of these really has dropped a lot and the speeds are actually now worth seriously considering over SATA SSDs.

Soldato
So with my basic knowledge, I know I need to get a PCI-E based nvme NOT m.2?

M.2 is the form factor, so yes you need M.2. NVMe is the interface specification used for the drive you are looking at, you can also get drives that use SATA and are in the M.2 form factor these are capped at SATA speeds (obviously).

PCI-E is the bus that the M.2 slot is connected through, and thus using a M.2 NVMe drive data is passed over a 4x PCI-E lane link (if running at full speed).

PCI-E 4.0 drives are currently overpriced for general use, but you can find competitively priced 3.0 drives that will do what you need and still be better than SATA for I/O heavy workloads or faster data transfer if you need that.

Soldato
OP
M.2 is the form factor, so yes you need M.2. NVMe is the interface specification used for the drive you are looking at, you can also get drives that use SATA and are in the M.2 form factor these are capped at SATA speeds (obviously).

PCI-E is the bus that the M.2 slot is connected through, and thus using a M.2 NVMe drive data is passed over a 4x PCI-E lane link (if running at full speed).

PCI-E 4.0 drives are currently overpriced for general use, but you can find competitively priced 3.0 drives that will do what you need and still be better than SATA for I/O heavy workloads or faster data transfer if you need that.

Ok, sounds good, any suggestions?

Associate
The big advantage is multiple reads and writes can be made in parallel, so you can have games and os on 1 drive.

I'd suggest going for a 1tb pcie 4.0 as a minimum now for futureproofing. The Sabrent Rocket (not the Rocket Q or Q4) is a good drive or the Gigabyte Aorous are good starting points.

Don't go for any of the cheaper cacheless drives.

Back
Top Bottom