Ryzen 4000 early prepping

Soldato
The SX820 Pro really is an excellent drive, very close to a 4.0 today and much cheaper. I'd suggest holding off on a 4.0 until they are both cheaper and higher performance - there's a lot more to come from 4.0 drives.

Soldato
OP
The big advantage is multiple reads and writes can be made in parallel, so you can have games and os on 1 drive.

I'd suggest going for a 1tb pcie 4.0 as a minimum now for futureproofing. The Sabrent Rocket (not the Rocket Q or Q4) is a good drive or the Gigabyte Aorous are good starting points.

Don't go for any of the cheaper cacheless drives.

Yea I quite like the look of the gigabyte aorous.

I'll see, try and decide if the cost is worth it Vs performance increase over a sata SSD.

Soldato
Yea I quite like the look of the gigabyte aorous.

I'll see, try and decide if the cost is worth it Vs performance increase over a sata SSD.

Think Aorus 4.0 was £160 on sale . Not to bad . Wouldn't pay full price for it or what others are asking for 1TB 4.0 though at £200 odd

For gaming , 3.0 and 4.0 will finally out muscle Sata 3 SSD when RTX IO and Microsoft direct storage comes into play next year. SONY will have a years head start on it via PS5 .
Games with high draw distance and larger open world's should see some nice gains :)

Soldato
Could you recommend a larger 1-2tb? PCI-E 4.0 nvme?
PCIe v4 drives cost too much extra.
Even PCIe v3 drive has huge amount of untapped potential for gaming use...
At lot better price so that you cna afford good amonut of capacity.
WD Blue SN550 (not SATA based Blue 3D) doesn't cost much any more than standard SATA drive.
Though serie is limited to max 1TB and being budget drive its controller has fewer channels capping speeds at both sides of 2 GB/s.
For full PCIe v3 speed drive Adata SX8200 Pro is currently very well priced.
In both 1TB and 2TB sizes.
It's also one of the faster drives for game usage loads.

For high end PC would go straight for 2TB size.
https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matt...are-now-takes-up-over-200gb-of-storage-space/
There are also multiple others 100+ GB games.

Sabrent Rocket would be another well priced.
Though Phison E12 controller is more optimized for complex workloads than home use workloads.
Anyway differences in game loading times would be in class of second or two.

Soldato
PCI-E is the bus that the M.2 slot is connected through
Only in case of PCIe device in a slot.
M.2 SATA drives use normal SATA bus.
M.2 includes also (possible) support for USB + few more buses/connections for internal version of "try to guess what it supports USB-C type" mess.

The big advantage is multiple reads and writes can be made in parallel, so you can have games and os on 1 drive.
That's never been any problem with SSDs.
Normal home use just doesn't generate many threads accessing drive simultaneously or at any bigger queue depths.
Hence all that IOPS marketing for home use is essentially Trump &Putin level BS.
Q1T1 result is really only fully meaningfull for home use from random IO tests.
Even transfer rate of SATA bus wouldn't be any bottleneck for those.
(though AHCI protocol has overhead and latency causing steps)

Soldato
Only in case of PCIe device in a slot.
M.2 SATA drives use normal SATA bus.
M.2 includes also (possible) support for USB + few more buses/connections for internal version of "try to guess what it supports USB-C type" mess.

Yes, thanks for confirming that to the OP. I didn't see the need to do this as I clarified the reason for the PCI-E use in the rest of the sentence, but also all slots don't necessarily support SATA/USB unless they are wired for it, which a majority are not if there are more than one on a board. :)

Soldato
OP
For full PCIe v3 speed drive Adata SX8200 Pro is currently very well priced.
In both 1TB and 2TB sizes.
It's also one of the faster drives for game usage loads.

Sabrent Rocket would be another well priced.
Though Phison E12 controller is more optimized for complex workloads than home use workloads.

Some good suggestions there thanks. I think 1tb would be plenty as I also have a SATA 1tb SSD and 250gb SSD, although the latter kinda seems a little pointless if I do get a new one.

I think I probably will get one of the two above you suggested.

Soldato
Seems Sony has found a way to up IO speeds even more ..... I don't think Direct X DirectStorage / RTX IO will be able to match with incoming PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives at full speed ... Specially that compression, drops need for 10GB plus VRam

Associate
Some good suggestions there thanks. I think 1tb would be plenty as I also have a SATA 1tb SSD and 250gb SSD, although the latter kinda seems a little pointless if I do get a new one.

I think I probably will get one of the two above you suggested.

2tb should be plenty - I don't think the 250gb is really necessary, though it might be useful as a docs/downloads drive

Soldato
OP
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £673.14 (includes shipping: £13.20)

personally dont mind VA, specially as my TV us VA but most go by IPS

I haven't build the PC yet due to obviously lack of Zen 3 yet, but started using this monitor straight away, went for the IPS version as it was on offer and 144hz is plenty.

So going from a (although pretty old) Dell 27" 1440p 60hz IPS monitor, I wasn't expecting a whole load of difference really other than a higher refresh but my god it's so much better. Brighter, better colour contrast, and fired up a bit of PUBG and it's a definite improvement, it's actually quite interesting that unlocked past 60hz my current pc is putting out about 90 fps on average which ain't bad.

M still doing the new PC though, I have most of the bits already no going back! I'm sure it'll be much smoother I can't wait to be honest AMD need to crack on and get these Zen 3 on the market.

Back
Top Bottom