• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
Hi.

built a brand new pc today with a Ryzen 5 3600. Due to budget issues, it is using the Stealth cooler which i know isn’t great. I’ll be looking to upgrade this soon. I did use Arctic MX-4 paste to replace the stock paste, which I thought would help things.

I’ve had to lock the frequency at 3.6GHz to avoid stress test crashing. However, even at that frequency, the computer still crashes under Aida64 stress test.

the temps sit at around 75C before the pc freezes and just reboots.

is there anything I can do to avoid this happening? I know stress tests aren’t realistic, but surely the pc shouldn’t be crashing after 5 minutes?

would massively appreciate any help. thanks!

*EDIT* I was just surfing the internet, no stress test open and the PC crashed again.

Last edited:
Soldato
You need to give more information on your system

What motherboard
What ram
What drives
What GPU
What PSU
What settings in bios are you running
What voltages are you using for Vcore Vsoc etc
What are speed and timings you using on the RAM and what voltages are you putting through those

have you memtested prior to installing windows

are you installing new windows or just plugging in an existing system

what settings have you used for AIDA stress

Have you been running Hardware Monitoring to see what is going on during idle and stress test

have you got any crash message from windows

your stability issue is highly generic can be any one or multiple issues with hardware.

etc etc.

Associate
OP
You need to give more information on your system

What motherboard
What ram
What drives
What GPU
What PSU
What settings in bios are you running
What voltages are you using for Vcore Vsoc etc
What are speed and timings you using on the RAM and what voltages are you putting through those

have you memtested prior to installing windows

are you installing new windows or just plugging in an existing system

what settings have you used for AIDA stress

Have you been running Hardware Monitoring to see what is going on during idle and stress test

have you got any crash message from windows

your stability issue is highly generic can be any one or multiple issues with hardware.

etc etc.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz - Core voltage set to auto
MOBO: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 16-18-18-36
SSD: Crucial P2 NVME M.2
GPU: XFX RX 580 XXX GTS
PSU: SEASONIC Focus GX-650 80+ Gold

Have mem tested after installing Windows. All clear no errors.
No errors from windows, just a straight up reboot.

Associate
OP
Update.

I’ve just tried resetting the BIOS to defaults. The PC restarted after about 2 minutes. I’ve now got the Windows 10 ‘Choose an option’ menu to troubleshoot.

Associate
OP
Could be a faulty PSU, does it crash if you just load the GPU?
I’ve just tried stressing only the GPU in Aida64.

the PC instantly went very laggy and difficult to use (expected I suppose). Temps have hit 78C at highest. It’s been running for 7 minutes so far with no crashes, which is longer than it’s managed when stress testing the CPU, FPU, Cache and System Memory.

I did notice the actual GPU usage kept jumping around. Usually anywhere between 65% and 100% but occasionally as low as 3% for about a second. Is this something I should be concerned about?

*EDIT* still going 15 minutes in. The SSD is also being used 100%. Is this normal?

*EDIT 2* the SSD usage has now gone down to 1% and stayed there for a while. Weird?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Quickest way is to go into the BIOS, and on the main screen it should give the version number.
BIOS version is E7B89AMS.270. Do I need to update it? If so how?

BTW, after resetting the BIOS settings and just locking the CPU frequency to 3.6GHz with no XMP profile I can run CPU and GPU stress tests with no restarts as of yet.

Associate
Aside from any potential BIOS issues, it's quite important to make sure Windows has done all its updates before using the system in anger.

AMD driver packages can crash on install with out of date Windows versions, for example.

Running without XMP is a pretty big performance hit. We should be able to fix that, with a bit of luck. You really do want XMP...

Associate
OP
Aside from any potential BIOS issues, it's quite important to make sure Windows has done all its updates before using the system in anger.

AMD driver packages can crash on install with out of date Windows versions, for example.

Running without XMP is a pretty big performance hit. We should be able to fix that, with a bit of luck. You really do want XMP...
Yeah definitely want XMP. I’ve just turned it on and now running stress tests again. Fingers crossed.

just don’t want the issue to come up again in the future.

Back
Top Bottom