Ryzen 5 Build Help

Associate
Been a long time since I've been able to have a desktop. My career has kept me moving around a lot and I've been mostly limited to a laptop. Although it has served me well, I've now found a more permanent living situation and I'm excited to upgrade to a tower. My budget for this build is going to be around $1100-1300 Canadian (around $900-1100 US or 680-750 GBP).

This build will be used heavily for music production, streaming, graphic rendering, and other productivity applications, hence why I opted for a Ryzen 5 1600X instead of an i5-7600K. It will game every now and then, but for the most part it will function as my workstation.

My current laptop build:
Core i7-4810MQ @ 2.8
16GB DDR3
GTX 965M 4GB DDR5
Micron M600 128GB SSD
1TB 7200RPM HD

What I'm looking to upgrade to:
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 K4
Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.6
16GB G.SKILL Ripjaw V 3000mhz CL14 (2x8GB)
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 OC 6GB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
Rosewill Valens Series 600W PSU
Any ATX Mid Tower Case

Right now, it's looking like I'll be able to pick all of this up from newegg for about $1200 Canadian.

My main concerns for the build are the compatibility of the RAM, and also the lack of an SSD. I've been hearing a lot about latency of RAM, and that anything over CAS 14 Latency will have trouble with Ryzen. I also heard that Ryzen seems to favor Samsung based modules as well? Is this true and if so, what can I improve for the build?
I'd also like some recommendations on a good 128GB SSD, cheap but reliable is what I'm looking for. It will serve as a Windows boot drive and that's it.
And lastly, if there are any parts you think I can swap out to save some money, please let me know!

Cheers and have a great rest of the day,
N

Associate
Welcome to the forums :)

The case.. I looked for days at cases and overall they seem to be only a few that are really worth mentioning (because i thought the others looked cheap and pretty much ment for a 6 yeard olds pc)

Have a google at these..

Phanteks P400s
NZXT S340 Elite (Arguably one of the best cases about)
Be Quiet! Pure Base 600 (The tempered glass version looks sublime)
COOLER MASTER MASTERBOX 5
FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE S
FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE C
PHANTEKS ENTHOO EVOLV

Soldato
Hi Rezonate

If you are based in Canada then you will get a more accurate response with prices etc on somewhere like Linus tech tips forum as that is geared more towards Canada/USA. We can only suggest parts from OCUK so not much use to you if you are across the pond.

The Ram should hopefully run at 2933MHz which is 3000MHz on AM4.

I would probably choose a different psu as well. Something like a Corsair CXM (Grey label) if you are on a budget.

You could also drop down to the R5 1600 and use the stock cooler.

Associate
Linus tech tips, oh his squeeky voice is soo annoying...
I actually think "paul's hardware" is from one of the northern states as he says "oot" a lot (on youtube) and is much less annoying..
He uses a particular part searching website and shows his builds in detail... check him out for some tips :)

Associate
I'm Canadian. I can help. Build looks decent but I would swap out the power supply. I wouldn't even go with a CX honestly, go with something solid like a Seasonic SSR-G-550 which you can get in Canada at a reasonable price.

Also pick up a decent CPU cooler so you can get the CPU to 4Ghz. Doesn't have to be fancy. Probably fine with a CM 212. If you want a really sexy cooler look at the Noctua NH-U12s or NH-U14s.

Soldato
I'm Canadian. I can help. Build looks decent but I would swap out the power supply. I wouldn't even go with a CX honestly, go with something solid like a Seasonic SSR-G-550 which you can get in Canada at a reasonable price.

Also pick up a decent CPU cooler so you can get the CPU to 4Ghz. Doesn't have to be fancy. Probably fine with a CM 212. If you want a really sexy cooler look at the Noctua NH-U12s or NH-U14s.

Nothing wrong with the new CX units.

Also if the op is trying to save money then the R5 1600 and stock cooler would do fine.

Associate
OP
I'm definitely set on getting the 1600X, with the intention of getting it to 4GHz. My next step is now finding a good cooling setup for the build.

Mistersprinkles, how loud would you say your pc gets at max load with your current fan setup? I'm trying to decide between an H100i liquid cooling setup or a Noctua-U12S with a couple case fans. Which do you think would create the least noise?

Soldato
I'm definitely set on getting the 1600X, with the intention of getting it to 4GHz. My next step is now finding a good cooling setup for the build.

Mistersprinkles, how loud would you say your pc gets at max load with your current fan setup? I'm trying to decide between an H100i liquid cooling setup or a Noctua-U12S with a couple case fans. Which do you think would create the least noise?

The R5 1600 should overclock pretty much the same as the 1600X.

An air cooler is going to be quieter than an AIO liquid cooler. There are exceptions of course such as the BeQuiet liquid coolers. If you want the best Noctua cooler then go with the D15 or D15S.

Associate
OP
I think I'm set on the D15 then. Can someone recommend an ATX Mid Tower or Full Tower case that fits this inside it though? I see lots of people in reviews saying they had to exchange it for a smaller cooler. If it's really that much of an issue I'll stick with the NH-U12S.

I'm extremely skeptical that the D15S is going to fit on my B350 Fatal1ty MOBO, in regards to the RAM placement.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Updated the parts list a little bit based on your suggestions. This is what I've got:

Rosewill Thor V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Case
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 K4
Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.6-4.0
Noctua NH-D15 for AM4
ASUS Geforce GTX 1060 OC 6GB GDDR5
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB OC 3200Mhz CAS Latency 14
WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HD
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD
Seasonic Focus Plus Series SSR-650FX 650W PSU

Doing more research on the dimensions of everything, as I want to be extra sure this is all going to fit.

Soldato
Updated the parts list a little bit based on your suggestions. This is what I've got:

Rosewill Thor V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Case
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 K4
Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.6-4.0
Noctua NH-D15 for AM4
ASUS Geforce GTX 1060 OC 6GB GDDR5
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB OC 3200Mhz CAS Latency 14
WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HD
Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD
Seasonic Focus Plus Series SSR-650FX 650W PSU

Doing more research on the dimensions of everything, as I want to be extra sure this is all going to fit.

Just had a quick Google regarding that Rosewill case and it says that it takes a cpu cooler up to 180mm. The Noctua D15 SE-AM4 is 165mm so it will fit.

You can look on Noctua's website for compatibility regarding the D15 SE-AM4.

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15-se-am4/comp

Everything else looks like it will fit ok.

Back
Top Bottom