• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN 5000 SERIES NOW ONLINE - 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X COMING NOV 5TH AT 5PM **NO COMPETITORS**

Soldato
Be better news if you hear 1000's are confirmed in transit to OCUK.

Someone posted a pic of a retailer with about 14,000 nvidia cards ordered, about 400 delivered and about 400 en-route.

Launch supply matters.

Caporegime
Be better news if you hear 1000's are confirmed in transit to OCUK.

Someone posted a pic of a retailer with about 14,000 nvidia cards ordered, about 400 delivered and about 400 en-route.

Launch supply matters.

the nvidia cards at retailers across uk were lucky if they had 100x 3080s. :p how many people brought them again ? :D

hopefully there is plenty of actual stock of these cpus when they out. no gouging like many stores did and are doing or listing them sli on ebay :D

Soldato
Pricing (£529.99 inc VAT) not adding up. (as ever)

$549 RRP for the 5900x.

$549 = £421 (1 GBP = 1.30345 USD at time or writing).

VAT = 20% (£84.20)

£421 + £84.20 = £505.20

Retail price in UK should be ~£505. And that still alllows decent profit on each unit sold.

Associate
Pricing (£529.99 inc VAT) not adding up. (as ever)

$549 RRP for the 5900x.

$549 = £421 (1 GBP = 1.30345 USD at time or writing).

VAT = 20% (£84.20)

£421 + £84.20 = £505.20

Retail price in UK should be ~£505. And that still alllows decent profit on each unit sold.

Logistics, duty, admin/processing fees - Rishi isn't paying for those.

Soldato
Logistics, duty, admin/processing fees - Rishi isn't paying for those.
Em.. yeah. Thats factored into the RRP. Thats why the RRP has a profit margin built in...
Hence why, at (for example) USA retailers and etailers you will be able to buy the CPUs at ....well..... RRP.
Do those retailers not have logistics, dutys, admin or processing costs? Pretty sure they do!

Soldato
I didnt buy the 3600 at £150 a few months back as the new gen was coming, it turned out to be new con not a new gen. Bumping the price of the old processor to £200ish and way over pricing its replacement. Sorry but £290 for a 5600 is too rich for me.
3600 (non-x) was $200 at launch, i am pretty sure it was retailing at £200 here as well. it has been £150 during feb and then prices gone back up to £180. we always knew the prices of the new chip will be significantly higher than the current retailing cost of the equivalent chip. i think most people were hoping it will be the same MSRP launch price as Zen 2 or the XT series chips.

trade off is clear,
for the current retail price of 3900X - you can only get 5800x
for the current retail price of 3700X - you can only get 5600x

the above trade off has always been true no matter what product you are looking at in IT or any other commodity (other than the ones that are collectables)

i think people are delusional if there is a belief that the brand new architecture will match the current retail price of equivalent part i.e. £150 for a 6c chip. AMD has shown that in the XT refresh at best they will match the launch MSRP

for yourself and everyone who seeks value as opposed to getting the best and latest, wait for 6 months and then commit or if you in need to upgrades, buy the zen+ or Zen 2 chips as a short term fix.

Soldato

Unless you're a tech addict then its easy enough to dodge launch pricing and check in again some months later to see what pricing looks like.

New tech with all its launch bugs is definitely not essential to anyones life.

Associate
Em.. yeah. Thats factored into the RRP. Thats why the RRP has a profit margin built in...
Hence why, at (for example) USA retailers and etailers you will be able to buy the CPUs at ....well..... RRP.
Do those retailers not have logistics, dutys, admin or processing costs? Pretty sure they do!

Its like you don't understand the concept of us living on a little island and imports being more expensive than someone living in California??

Soldato
Unless you're a tech addict then its easy enough to dodge launch pricing and check in again some months later to see what pricing looks like.

New tech with all its launch bugs is definitely not essential to anyones life.
Just annoying UK etailers always jack an extra "in my pocket" bonus on each new launch. We never get RRP. EVER.

Soldato
Its like you don't understand the concept of us living on a little island and imports being more expensive than someone living in California??

Little Clue, the size of the "island" plays no part. You realise that the Americas are too an "island"? And that VGA and CPU need shipped there from Taiwan just the same as us? Two Planes leave Taiwan. One bound for Cali, the other bound for East Midlands. It's the SAME. But keep trying to kid yourself that the price increase over RRP (which is pure pocket) is justified in blighty.

Soldato
Actually I recall the 480 cards launching at the price AMD promised and some retailers had stock to specifically launch at that price.

Stayed that price for some minutes. Then off it went :D

Associate
Little Clue, the size of the "island" plays no part. You realise that the Americas are too an "island"? And that VGA and CPU need shipped there from Taiwan just the same as us? Two Planes leave Taiwan. One bound for Cali, the other bound for East Midlands. It's the SAME. But keep trying to kid yourself that the price increase over RRP (which is pure pocket) is justified in blighty.

Your perception is actually scary. Go to New Zealand and see how their MSRP works :'D

Associate
Thanks for saving me from typing that.

The USA is importing these too!

Soldato
Your perception is actually scary. Go to New Zealand and see how their MSRP works :'D
We Don't live in New Zealand though do we. An island with a population of less than 5M in the middle of nowhere and (relatively little) in the way of imports and exports.
We live in the global hub UK. In geographical Europe.

But nice point...

Associate
I was hoping Zen3 was going to give me a compelling reason to upgrade my 7700K, but unfortunately not at these prices. The 10700k is £80 cheaper than the 3800x, and the 10 core 10850K is only £11 more. Unless there is a ton of overclocking headroom on Zen3, there probably won't be much between them once overclocked. We'll have to wait for reviews to find out. I'm more inclined to wait a few months until rocket lake and see where everything compares then. Hopefully PSU and RAM availability will be better by then too.

Soldato
Just annoying UK etailers always jack an extra "in my pocket" bonus on each new launch. We never get RRP. EVER.
$ MSRP doesn't include state tax, some are as high as 10%.

I don't know how valid import duty and logistics are in terms of bundle those costs into the translation from MSRP to actual retail pricing. MSRP would have all those duty and costs factored in. even the Dollar MSRP value, the chips arent made in US soil, so there is import and logistics involved.

anyway it is still quite horrendous that we get charged the same numeric value as dollar MSRP and sometimes even higher than...in EU the prices always seems to be slightly less than dollar numeric, so I am not sure why UK is special and the last time i checked, Sterling is still slightly stronger than Euro.

Back
Top Bottom