Associate
Hi all,

I'm going to attempt to build a PC from scratch for the first time, and I'd like some advice on the build I'm considering. Really, I want it to be rubber-stamped by people who know what they're doing. :)

My main focus is DAW usage (Cubase) so I've selected the Ryzen 5900x as the CPU, given its excellent single thread performance and greater potential for all-core overclocking than the 5950x.

Having spent the day researching, I've alighted on the following additional components:

• Motherboard: MSI MAG x570 Tomahawk WiFi
  • CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
  • RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz CL18
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Tower case

To this I'm planning to add the FSP 1000W PSU from my current build and my puny RTX 1050Ti graphics card (I want to upgrade that but this feels like a really bad time to be upgrading graphics cards).

I'm planning to overclock the CPU and RAM as much as I can. Although I've used overclocked machines before, these have usually been prebuilt CPU/motherboard bundles so this will be a first. But hopefully this build will make things easier, given the VRM design of the MSI Tomahawk and the cooling power of the Dark Rock Pro 4.

Let me know if I'm doing anything or if you've got any additional suggestions for hardware to consider.

Associate
OP
Thanks both for the reassurance, I've pulled the trigger. I found some 4x32GB Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz CL16 RAM and got that instead, hopefully the lower latency will be worth the extra £40 or so.

Thanks lee32uk for the links and video, doesn't look too complicated (he says)!

Just looking around some forums last night and saw some people saying overclocking the 5000 series is kinda pointless as PBO2's undervolting will have the same effect. Is this true? Am I better off just leaving well enough alone?

Back
Top Bottom