Ryzen 7 1700 Overclock - Bad Chip? Lost The Lottery?

Associate
Ryzen 7 1700
MSI Carbon Gaming Pro x370
Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz
Hyper Evo 212 Cooler

Trying to overclock my Ryzen 1700 & RAM but struggling to get anything stable with low temps

The best I've done so far is 3.7Ghz at 1.28v (VOC +1.000), spikes to 1.30v on stress test, Idle temps around 35c - max temps 71C ish.

If i try push 3.8ghz, I have to increase voltage to 1.37v (VOC +1.000), which spikes to 1.4v on stress test, max temps hitting around 89c at times... too high

3.9+ is out of the question

RAM will not go past 3066mhz either on 1.38v, or if I change Command Line to 2T I can get it running at 1.35v

Have I got a poor Ryzen chip here? was hoping to push 3.9ghz, or even 3.8 ghz, on lower volts with max temps around 70c max

Soldato
Memory is about standard - it will probably get addressed with future BIOS updates (sometimes they hit 3200MHz - luck). You'll be better served with tighter timings and the slightly lower Frequency for now.

As for the clock - you may have hit a brick wall at 3.8Ghz - and if you have you're not going to miss 100Mhz.

But, equally, there may be some BIOS tweaks that will help you hit 3.8 more easily or even/maybe 3.9. As you have an x370 you have a few extra BIOS features to play with compared to the B350 - i would do a dedicated thread on the Overclocking and cooling forum for specific advice re: your MB.

Or read through the Ryzen owners thread - loads of great user experience within it and swapping of BIOS clocking tips. Or add your woes to the thread - someone will have 'been there-done that' already and may be able to help...

*A larger quality cooler would help with temps if they become an issue - 89 degrees at 1.4V is relatively high even for a synthetic test.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Memory is about standard - it will probably get addressed with future BIOS updates (sometimes they hit 3200MHz - luck). You'll be better served with tighter timings and the slightly lower Frequency for now.

As for the clock - you may have hit a brick wall at 3.8Ghz - and if you have you're not going to miss 100Mhz.

But, equally, there may be some BIOS tweaks that will help you hit 3.8 more easily or even/maybe 3.9. As you have an x370 you have a few extra BIOS features to play with compared to the B350 - i would do a dedicated thread on the Overclocking and cooling forum for specific advice re: your MB.

Or read through the Ryzen oweners thread - loads of great user experience within it and swapping of BIOS clocking tips. Or add your woes to the thread - someone will have 'been there-done that' already and may be able to help...

Thanks for the reply,

I'll leave the RAM as it is now then & hope future BIOS update can solve this!

I have looked through the various threads & tried some tips but it seems I've hit a brick wall with it, mainly the higher voltage needed after 3.7ghz, and the higher temperatures that are above what I'd want when under load,

Thinking about getting a watercooler which will help with the temperatures? might make the 3.8ghz overclock achievable with temps under 70c

Soldato
Thinking about getting a watercooler which will help with the temperatures? might make the 3.8ghz overclock achievable with temps under 70c
A better cooler may help your clock - not guaranteed - but would certainly reduce your temps when running synthetic tests at higher voltages.

An AIO isn't necessary - quality air would do the job just as well and is less prone to issues and quieter. I'm not saying don't buy an AIO - just pointing out that a Noctua/be quiet/Phantek would still keep things chilly for less money, maintenance free and for less money.

Associate
OP
A better cooler may help your clock - not guaranteed - but would certainly reduce your temps when running synthetic tests at higher voltages.

An AIO isn't necessary - quality air would do the job just as well and is less prone to issues and quieter. I'm not saying don't buy an AIO - just pointing out that a Noctua/be quiet/Phantek would still keep things chilly for less money, maintenance free and for less money.

Hmm I see thanks,

are they a big improvement on my Hyper 212 Evo?

Soldato
are they a big improvement on my Hyper 212 Evo?
When you start reaching high voltages yes - the larger coolers/AIOs start to come into their own. Their ability to dissipate heat quickly and efficiently at higher temps is their forte - compared to the mid-range coolers.

The differences between them aren't so great at lower voltages - in fact the stock Wraith does a perfectly good job at lower clock/voltages.

*But the Hyper Evo is a great performer/value mid-range cooler...

Associate
OP
When you start reaching high voltages yes - the larger coolers/AIOs start to come into their own. Their ability to dissipate heat quickly and efficiently at higher temps is their forte - compared to the mid-range coolers.

The differences between them aren't so great at lower voltages - in fact the stock Wraith does a perfectly good job at lower clock/voltages.

Okay thanks! I'll have a look at these coolers & mgiht get one

Soldato
Associate
OP
Associate
OP
streaming & playing PLAYERUNKNOWN BATTLEGROUNDS just now its hitting 74c temp when CPU only at 50% capacity, seems very odd, its not been this hot before, especially at only 1.28v

Might try reseating the cooler

Soldato
streaming & playing PLAYERUNKNOWN BATTLEGROUNDS just now its hitting 74c temp when CPU only at 50% capacity, seems very odd, its not been this hot before, especially at only 1.28v

Might try reseating the cooler
Yep, temps don't marry up to voltage/usage/hardware.

Re- seat seems sensible.

Associate
OP
Yep, temps don't marry up to voltage/usage/hardware.

Re- seat seems sensible.

Done a complete reseat and reapplied thermal paste, still idles around 36c but any test or game its pushing the high 60s still, don't understand why! there's only a max of 1.3v going into it under max stress

and gaming when its hardly using much CPU its still pushing mad temps

Soldato
Done a complete reseat and reapplied thermal paste, still idles around 36c but any test or game its pushing the high 60s still, don't understand why! there's only a max of 1.3v going into it under max stress

and gaming when its hardly using much CPU its still pushing mad temps
Odd when you consider this - Clicky. Look at the 4GHz temps.

I know they're done using a Ryzen 1600 but still fairly representative.

There's a known heat discrepancy/sensor/offset on some CPUs- or was - when it's clocked. I read about it ...

I'll have a quick look - may not be relevant to you.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Odd when you consider this - Clicky. Look at the 4GHz temps.

I know they're done using a Ryzen 1600 but still fairly representative.

There's a known heat discrepancy/sensor/offset on some CPUs- or was - when it's clocked. I read about it ...

I'll have a quick look - may not be relevant to you.

Very odd, such low temps with the stock cooler!

I just reseated it again, and on bios, reset the overclocks to default,

I set the CPU to 3.9ghz with 1.37v and 1.2v SOC, so under load it rises to 1.4 volts, I just did a small FFT and large FFT test in prime and it seems to not go over 76c now under max load.. better?

THats with the RAM clocked back down to 2133mhz too, might try raising that slowly now..

Soldato
I set the CPU to 3.9ghz with 1.37v and 1.2v SOC, so under load it rises to 1.4 volts, I just did a small FFT and large FFT test in prime and it seems to not go over 76c now under max load.. better?
1.37V/1.4V @ 76 degrees running small FFTs i would be pleased - that should translate to ~60+ degrees in real world usage with an evo (at a guess).

THats with the RAM clocked back down to 2133mhz too, might try raising that slowly now..
I would take it to 2933MHz max for now (using the xmp at 29.33 should suffice) - as that should be attainable and leave it at that. Then ensure that your clock is stable and with steady temps...

I would then address your memory with the next AGESA/BIOS release to give yourself time tweaking the clock if required at memory settings you know won't/shouldn't be a factor...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
1.37V/1.4V @ 76 degrees running small FFTs i would be pleased - that should translate to ~60+ degrees in real world usage with an evo (at a guess).

I would take it to 2933MHz max for now (using the xmp at 29.33 should suffice) - as that should be attainable and leave it at that. Then ensure that your clock is stable and with steady temps...

I would then address your memory with the next AGESA/BIOS release to give yourself time tweaking the clock if required at memory settings you know won't/shouldn't be a factor...

I've reduced the RAM to 2933 and it seems to be running stable with a 3.9ghz OC, max temps still 75c with small FFTs,

Will leave it for now until a new BIOS update it out, problem is though when I game and the GPU is in full use it creates more heat which raises the temps?

I'll try lowing SOC now and see if its stable

Soldato

This is good advice, at 3.9 you will be drawing a lot of power and need a high quality cooling solution. The stock cooler while fine at 3.7 will start to struggle as you get to around 3.8.

Permabanned
With my 1700X @ 3925 it requires 1.38V to be stable, gaming it barely tops 60 degrees, stress test will go to about 75 degrees with a H100i GTX AIO cooler. Sub 80 degrees is fine for a stress test.

SOC is 1V.

Associate
OP
Thanks makes me feel like mines not too bad then!

seems stable with 1.37v and SOC at 1.000 now, I think I'll give it a try like this in gaming & see what the temps do now!

Might invest in a better cooler since I want games to run under 70c

Back
Top Bottom