• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 9 3900X vs 3950X

Soldato
Good choice - those top end mobos are for folk who like to get everylast drop from the system like benchers whilst having everything on them.

AS said by others with the 3700X or 3800X are very good for gaming but for best gaming performance buck it has to go to the 3600 or 3600X depending on your budget.

What gfx card you got and what monitor/resolution you game at?

Soldato
Monster card and 1440p - you wont see a massive difference in frame rates for the money from a 3600X to a 3900X currently, so up to you but I see the 3700X was recently down to £260. They are £319 RRP Plenty enough @1440p. 3800X is £300 and they were £380 on release....coz I bought one. I think from the lot, for another £40 I'd get a 3800X. Still not £40 worth of difference in performance but the X570 platform is still evolving.

Associate
As a 3950x owner I would say just for gaming 3900x if not a 3800x/ 3700x is more than enough. I would go for the 3900x especially lately it was around 430ish which is brilliant for the price.

I got the 3950x and i knew what i was getting so i won't complain but for my usage at least for now the extra 300 i would save could go on a gpu pot. If money is not a problem go full blast for 3950x seeing all those threads running on CB20 made my day VS my previous pc which was a c2q 9550 and only 4 threads were running :D.

Soldato
As a 3950x owner I would say just for gaming 3900x if not a 3800x/ 3700x is more than enough. I would go for the 3900x especially lately it was around 430ish which is brilliant for the price.

I got the 3950x and i knew what i was getting so i won't complain but for my usage at least for now the extra 300 i would save could go on a gpu pot. If money is not a problem go full blast for 3950x seeing all those threads running on CB20 made my day VS my previous pc which was a c2q 9550 and only 4 threads were running :D.

I felt much the same when i got my 3950x just before Christmas. As it happens though, in the past i always did a lot of extreeme benching.
I pulled my SS out of the garage on Saturday and made sure it could still pull down to -60c.....................it does :D
So, at some point over the next few months i will hook it up to my 3950x and see what it can do ..............................looking forward to it and very exited at the same time .

Soldato
Hi,

Between the 3900X and the 3950X which one should I get? I will probably end up pairing it with an Aorus Xtreme and I only really game. I don't do any editing or anything like that.

Thanks.

Get the best you can which is the 3950X, gaming or not. You may find another purpose for the speeds of the 3950X in future.

That's what I did with the 3900X, I only game and run emulators on it right now (can change later on) and I'm already eyed up an 3950X to buy........because I can :D

Soldato
Hi,

Between the 3900X and the 3950X which one should I get? I will probably end up pairing it with an Aorus Xtreme and I only really game. I don't do any editing or anything like that.

Thanks.
That's a lot of dosh to be spending on parts that won't give you any extra performance in games.

This setup is a fraction of the price and will give you the same performance, if you wanted you could get the 3800X for slightly higher clocks. I selected the motherboard based on a review by Hardware Unboxed, the VRM temps are excellent and are equal to that of boards in much higher price tiers.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £556.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
If you're into gaming then get a 3600 plus a 450 Tomahawk Max or Gigabyte 570 Elite.

Then plough the rest into your graphics card.

You can always upgrade to a 4000 series CPU later on if you wish.

Anything else on a more powerful CPU won't result in much better gains, modern multicore games tend to be GPU limited.

Associate
That's a lot of dosh to be spending on parts that won't give you any extra performance in games.

This setup is a fraction of the price and will give you the same performance, if you wanted you could get the 3800X for slightly higher clocks. I selected the motherboard based on a review by Hardware Unboxed, the VRM temps are excellent and are equal to that of boards in much higher price tiers.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £556.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

This. If you don't care about extra features (I don't ) & just want a great-performing board, the X570-P beats Asus's own TUF board for VRM performance, let alone the price competition from other mobo manufacturers.
(video that Freddie refered to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbyWKufthS4)
I got one for my 3950x because I just want all the cores at good frequency on a stable platform. No complaints so far.

Back
Top Bottom