• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
Morning all!

Hope you're well. I recently received my new Ryzen 9 5900x and had nothing but problems to start with! Multiple reboots with WHEA Uncorrectable Errors, Cache Hierarchy errors etc, even the DOCP settings meant I couldn't POST so had to clear the CMOS and start over! I was able to run Prime95 for 2 hours in amongst the madness with no issues, but when I tried to load up Call of Duty Warzone, the PC would just reboot with no BSOD. It seems this issue is all over the web so I figure it can't be faulty hardware, right?

That being said, I have since updated the BIOS of my ASUS Prime X570-P mobo to the latest Beta version, re-applied the DOCP and touch wood, everything has been stable so far. I've even been able to apply the DOCP profile now.

I don't know whether I'm worrying too much, but I don't like seeing the CPU hit 80 degrees when gaming. I don't know whether this is OK or not, as I'm still relatively new to PC building (this is my 2nd, looking to run a dual PC streaming setup!) I have left everything as default so far but my average voltages under load are about 1.45v. I can cap this via Ryzen Master but i have to do this every time i start the PC.

Would you recommend under volting slightly in the BIOS to reduce temps a bit? Or could this have an issue when trying to reach higher clock speeds? Should i also have Core Performance Boost and Precision Boost Overdrive enabled? Temps seem to average around 65-70ish when gaming but spike to a max 83 every now and then.

Sorry to ramble on, any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Alex

Soldato
Are you capping the vCore before running Prime? Also, prime is a pointless way of torching the CPU, better off using Cinebench.

My 5900x and BIOS is stock bar the XMP profile adjustments I've made and hits 73c while gaming but will be hotter under PS or 100% loads.

Associate
Hi Alex.

Seems the latest Bios has been fully optimised for the newer cpu's and has sorted out your problems. AMD has stated that these chips run hot and its nothing to be concerned about.
Seems people are having great results using the new curve Optimizer feature to reduce temps.

Associate
OP
Hi Alex.

Seems the latest Bios has been fully optimised for the newer cpu's and has sorted out your problems. AMD has stated that these chips run hot and its nothing to be concerned about.
Seems people are having great results using the new curve Optimizer feature to reduce temps.

This, seems the BIOS has fixed it for now. Strange though isn't it. I'm no hardware guru at all, but amazing how a BIOS tweak sorts it out. The hard part is the testing! I've been up and stable for 4 hours now with stints on Warzone, Cold War, Fall Guys and Rust and no issues what so ever! Going to run Cinebench now as recommended and see what happens there.

Thanks guys!

Associate
Regarding the temperature, I saw that AMD themselves have said that its fine to run these CPUs at 90-95 degress. I know that's uncomfortably high in our experienced eyes, and we want to get it lower, but it's ok by AMD.

Does anyone with a 5900x or similar have a little CPU booklet that might state the operating temperatures?

Associate
There is not such parameters stated in the CPU booklet. Just the warranty, how to install etc. There is a seperate piece of paper regarding having a properly flashed BIOS that supports the 5000 series.

In recent months using the Ryzen Zen 2/3 I have gotten used to the CPU temperature spiking very quickly (and back down again), and made a fan/cooling profile to suit it and prevent the fans/water pump hunting up and down quickly in reaction to these short bursts of temperature. Having used an overclocked 8700k for number of years, I am used to cpus running under 70c, and very rarely going over 75c. My personal preference is cpus under 70c and gpus running around 75c (80c max).

Last night I must admit that I got a little concerned when playing the game CONTROL. Everything being fine until I die. When the game is resetting the player back to the last checkpoint after death, my cpu hit 80c, it might be up there for 10 or 20 seconds (estimate), then you spawn and it's back down to below 70c

I think I might be getting short spikes to 75c or 76c when playing Cyberpunk, but haven't really monitored it live. I usually have a look in HWInfo and what the low/high peaks were like over the whole gaming session afterwards.

Edit: Here is the Reddit post that is being referred to by denigor777 above.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jsy8bw/robert_hallocks_response_to_all_zen_3_thermal/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thought i'd cracked it guys.

Multiple session of Warzone, Cold War, Rocket League, even an hour long OCCT stress test while out with the dog, Cinebench tests, the lot, running for 9+ hours.

Switched CoD onto my 4k monitor rather than the 1080p, changed fine, went to play a game then BOOM! BSOD - Thought it may have been the GPU but alas, same errors as before, and the GPU is from my existing machine so no issues with it:

"
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0"

"A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 8"

"
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 11"

Think I need to return this and get in line for a new one. Such a shame! I read online that someone replaced one and replaced for another, everything stock in the BIOS etc and no crashes at all, running solid for 3 weeks. Why are so many people having this issue? Is there really that many defective chips?

Associate
I'm starting to believe/hope it is more around memory OC compatibility than defective chips although I've seen differing reports all over the net. At the moment I'm running the latest BIOS with an increased SoC voltage instead of Auto to see if that helps remove the crashes. I also ran my 5950x at stock memory speeds for a week or so and it was stable.

Associate
OP
I'm starting to believe/hope it is more around memory OC compatibility than defective chips although I've seen differing reports all over the net. At the moment I'm running the latest BIOS with an increased SoC voltage instead of Auto to see if that helps remove the crashes. I also ran my 5950x at stock memory speeds for a week or so and it was stable.

When you say stock, do you mean XMP/DOCP enabled and nothing else? I was tempted to leave it in and go again but it's taxing to test real world actions for over 9 hours for a "wait and see" approach. No way changing the res from 1080p to 4k should duff a £500 chip?!

I bought it from OC as well so i have requested an RMA to send it back. It's already back in the box! Just the loooong wait for another one now...

Associate
When you say stock, do you mean XMP/DOCP enabled and nothing else? I was tempted to leave it in and go again but it's taxing to test real world actions for over 9 hours for a "wait and see" approach. No way changing the res from 1080p to 4k should duff a £500 chip?!

I bought it from OC as well so i have requested an RMA to send it back. It's already back in the box! Just the loooong wait for another one now...

No with DOCP disabled so RAM running at base speed.

Associate
OP
No with DOCP disabled so RAM running at base speed.

Shouldn't have to do that though right? My ram is 32GB 3200Mhz so I want it to run at that haha.

I've requested to send it back already and it's back in the box but part of me wants to keep trying! :\ but then i want it to work out the box, not have to **** ass around with all sorts.

Associate
Shouldn't have to do that though right? My ram is 32GB 3200Mhz so I want it to run at that haha.

I've requested to send it back already and it's back in the box but part of me wants to keep trying! :\ but then i want it to work out the box, not have to **** ass around with all sorts.

Agree, I just wanted to see if it was my CPU or not. After it was stable I then increased the SoC voltage to see if that helps. Read a lot of forums, reddit etc... and this seemed to be a possible solution if systems was ok at stock.

Anyway I'll monitor for a few days to check.

Back
Top Bottom