Ryzen: bought wrong ram, can I fix with overclocking?

Associate
Hi all,

For the first time in a long time, I've bought a complete system, and gone for a full AMD build: 2700X, Asus x470 F, Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3600, Asus Vega 64. The eagle eye'd among you may have realised that the mobo doesn't support 3600 ram, its max is 3466...

Rather than the ram running at 3466, it refuses to budge above 2100. I have the option of an exchange, but will involve the better part of a week without a PC (old one already claimed by son).

A friend mentioned that I may be able to manually set everything and get it working, but I've no idea how to go about it. I did notice the ram I've got is rated at 1.2v, the ram I should've got is 1.35. can I set 3466 or 3600 and just up the voltage?

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers
Ross

Associate
OP
The problem is it defaults to 2100 and fails to post at anything higher. Gonna try more voltage, but as I said, it has been a while and I'm not familiar with Ryzen at all.

Soldato
The problem is it defaults to 2100 and fails to post at anything higher. Gonna try more voltage, but as I said, it has been a while and I'm not familiar with Ryzen at all.
set docp, put un 1.1v soc voltage and 1.45v dram voltage then set the memory frequency manually to 3200mhz to start with.

Associate
If RAM will not work at higher frequencies then the best thing to do is to approach the problem from a different angle. Quality RAM is never a waste of money even if your system will not overclock.
You can get almost the same performance if you decrease the timing used for the RAM. So if your RAM is 18-19-19-39 it WILL run at lower settings when used at default frequencies. You just have to discover what they are. You do this by increasing the voltage to the maximum you want to use ( say 1.30V ) then reducing the timing until it stops working. Keep on repeating until you find the best timing. Then it's advisable to step back one to the previous working settings. A good guide to what you might be able to get is look at the same make RAM for lower frequencies and see what the timing is. I think on yours it's 15 15 15 35. So you could aim for that or even lower.

Soldato
I would take the timings and voltage from spec sheet of the equivelent 3200 kit from Corsair and manually put them in as a start point, if that still fails to post just I increment memory voltage by tiny amounts until it will - once it seems stable run memtest for a bit of confirmation

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Load the DOCP/XMP profile, then manually set the ram to 3000MHz, see if that'll boot.

If it does you've got a start point to tweak from.

Though. Easiest thing would be to return it and grab some 8pack Sammy-B instead. Depends how much you really want RGB :D

The Gskill Trident-Z stuff should work pretty well also if you really want RGB.

Aim for 3200MHz on Ryzen, anything higher is a bonus.

Associate
Return it - you may break it messing around trying to get it to work, then you'll be out of pocket and still have no working ram.

Back
Top Bottom