Ryzen or Coffee Lake

Permabanned
Following on from my other monitor and GPU threads, I've come to the conclusion that a build upgrade is needed. I will list my current build for reference:

Gigabyte GA Z68
I5 2500k @ 4.2ghz ( 212+ cooler)
16gb corsair ddr3
Gtx 970 msi
Xfx 700 psu
AOC 24"

I have on order a 1440p 144hz 27 inch G Sync monitor, I will also be ordering a 1080ti soon.

I've put together these 2 different possible builds from AMD and Intel.

Intel i5-8600k
Asus ROG Z370 HERO ARC
Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB 3600MHZ

AND Ryzen 7 1700x AM4
Asus RIG Crosshair GO Hero X370
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2666MHZ

Opinions welcome and any advice on which is the better build, or if there is anything better and/or cheaper than what I've listed.

Thanks.

16 Ryzen threads vs 6 Intel threads. All the way for the Ryzen ;)

Soldato
I've got both , I'd choose Intel for Gaming . Tbh , it's a poor show from Intel as this is what the 7000 series should have been . But they need praise for the 8100/8400/8700 non K versions . Stunning chips, and all thanks to AMD haha.
If you do multimedia stuff or for a cheaper budget :)

Associate
OP
I've got both , I'd choose Intel for Gaming . Tbh , it's a poor show from Intel as this is what the 7000 series should have been . But they need praise for the 8100/8400/8700 non K versions . Stunning chips, and all thanks to AMD haha.
If you do multimedia stuff or for a cheaper budget :)
This is why I'm leaning towards the i5, even though Ryzen has more cores and threads, as I mostly game and the i5 and 1700x are similarly priced.

Associate
How about going for 3000-3200 ram and a less expensive motherboard, might be able to fit in an 8700k then?

I have a similar setup to the one you want to get, 27 inch gsync 1440p monitor with a 1080ti ftw and an 1800x(pretty much identical performance to the 1700). ive left everything at stock (ram running at 2133) and i get 107-133 fps in bf1 on average, similar in battlefront 2 and destiny 2 averages around 120-144.

but in pubg i get around 60-79fps

Last edited:
Associate
OP
How about going for 3000-3200 ram and a less expensive motherboard, might be able to fit in an 8700k then?
Would that be a better route to go down? More CPU power, with less RAM speed.

From previous experience I've always ended up going i5 over i7, as I thought the extra price didn't justify the small performance gain, is this still true?

Permabanned
This is why I'm leaning towards the i5, even though Ryzen has more cores and threads, as I mostly game and the i5 and 1700x are similarly priced.

You don't think about tomorrow. Tomorrow when there will be more and more games which will require more threads, you will be forced to buy something else.
But Intel will not allow you to upgrade, and you will be screwed to jump on a completely new platform, which means everything new.

With Ryzen it will be very simple, buy a new CPU and leave your old motherboard, Windows, memory, everything.

:D

Soldato
Here's the thing, new CPU will have better IMC you'd hope in Zen 2 , you'd hope.
Personally I see if being the other way, people might keep their Ryzen 1700/1600 and get the newer gen boards haha, sure they support higher ram, better lane design etc etc
Interesting to see in the future,
Zen + had to get the speeds up, or figure a way to get single/dual/quad core higher to appeal to gamers a lot more . Currently an i3 8100 with 4GHz boost to all 4 cores will equal or beat Ryzen 1400 in games and will be cheaper , i3 K version will ring rings at 5Ghz . Think Zen + hitting 4.5Ghz... will be interesting .

But off topic :D

Soldato

I got the 8400 at launch price, £170 - and best price for it ! The extra for the K version in my mind of i7 K could go to GPU. Specially now extra £40/50 lands you 70ti over 1070.
Was half tempted for ITX build of slamming i7 8700 non K , seems full core boost is 3.6GHz

Soldato
Would that be a better route to go down? More CPU power, with less RAM speed.

From previous experience I've always ended up going i5 over i7, as I thought the extra price didn't justify the small performance gain, is this still true?

You would be better off with my suggestion to start with. Buy a new gpu and put it into your current setup. If you are not happy with it then you can still go down the new cpu route afterwards.

Associate
OP
You would be better off with my suggestion to start with. Buy a new gpu and put it into your current setup. If you are not happy with it then you can still go down the new cpu route afterwards.
I do agree, that would be the most sensible option. Although this would all but limit me to the EVGA 1080ti, as it's the only one that has any chance of fitting onto my current micro ATX board. If I decide the the EVGA is the card I want anyway then there is no harm in doing what you suggested i think.

Soldato
I do agree, that would be the most sensible option. Although this would all but limit me to the EVGA 1080ti, as it's the only one that has any chance of fitting onto my current micro ATX board. If I decide the the EVGA is the card I want anyway then there is no harm in doing what you suggested i think.

What is the full model of the Motherboard ? And what case do you have ?

Soldato
I have a: Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 and Fractal Design R2 case

It's the motherboard clearance that's the issue, a bigger GPU blocks the SATA ports.

Ah right I see.

The Gigabyte GTX 1080 ti Gaming OC Black should fit as well, as it is only a couple of mm wider than your current GTX 970.

Product page lists it as 37mm. The MSI GTX 970 is 35mm.

http://www.gigabyte.us/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TGAMINGOC-BLACK-11GD#sp

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-970-GAMING-4G/Specification

If you decide on EVGA then I would look at the FTW3 ICX version.

Associate
OP
Ah right I see.

The Gigabyte GTX 1080 ti Gaming OC Black should fit as well, as it is only a couple of mm wider than your current GTX 970.

Product page lists it as 37mm. The MSI GTX 970 is 35mm.

http://www.gigabyte.us/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TGAMINGOC-BLACK-11GD#sp

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-970-GAMING-4G/Specification

If you decide on EVGA then I would look at the FTW3 ICX version.
It would be the FTW ICX if I were to go for a GPU with my current build.

Common sense is telling me to see how it goes with a new 1080ti and my new 1440p monitor, but I also think, I will eventually need to upgrade at some point as my system will no doubt start to struggle soon. The last time I checked during gaming, my 2500k was reaching 99/100% usage in Far Cry while the 970 was hitting 90-95%.

Soldato
It would be the FTW ICX if I were to go for a GPU with my current build.

Common sense is telling me to see how it goes with a new 1080ti and my new 1440p monitor, but I also think, I will eventually need to upgrade at some point as my system will no doubt start to struggle soon. The last time I checked during gaming, my 2500k was reaching 99/100% usage in Far Cry while the 970 was hitting 90-95%.

Is that in every game or just Far Cry ?

Of course eventually you will need a full upgrade, but this might keep you going for a bit longer. And of course if it is still high cpu/gpu usage with the new 1080 ti gpu and 1440p monitor then you still have the option to go with a new cpu/board/ram.

Permabanned
Following on from my other monitor and GPU threads, I've come to the conclusion that a build upgrade is needed. I will list my current build for reference:

Gigabyte GA Z68
I5 2500k @ 4.2ghz ( 212+ cooler)
16gb corsair ddr3
Gtx 970 msi
Xfx 700 psu
AOC 24"

I have on order a 1440p 144hz 27 inch G Sync monitor, I will also be ordering a 1080ti soon.

AND Ryzen 7 1700x AM4
Asus RIG Crosshair GO Hero X370
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2666MHZ

Opinions welcome and any advice on which is the better build, or if there is anything better and/or cheaper than what I've listed.

Thanks.

You are familiar with overclocking, so, you can take the smaller model Ryzen 7 1700 and push it to 4.0GHz.
Also, absolute requirement is to go for DDR4 3200, unless you are sure that your DDR4 2666 will overclock to 3200 and beyond.

Here is an extremely potent setup for you:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £583.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)

I would advise you - don't hold the illusion or hope that the ancient i5 won't bottleneck the fastest card ever produced.

Associate
OP
Is that in every game or just Far Cry ?

Of course eventually you will need a full upgrade, but this might keep you going for a bit longer. And of course if it is still high cpu/gpu usage with the new 1080 ti gpu and 1440p monitor then you still have the option to go with a new cpu/board/ram.
That was just in Far Cry, quite a limited test I know. Well, I did actually monitor in Assassin's Creed Origins, but that is pretty much pointless with their optimization issues, etc.

I agree, maybe the best option is to see how the system runs with the 1080 ti and go from there; the pricing of coffee lake may have dropped by the time I decide to upgrade, as I know the boards are priced quite high at the minute with them just being released.

But, of course part of me wants to find a reason to upgrade as it has been a while :D

Associate
OP
@4K8KW10 thanks for the suggested build and advice. I am aware that my 2500k will not be able to put up with new games for much longer, so I guess I will have to make a decision as to, do I hold out as long as possible with my current setup, or do I just get the upgrade done now. I will have to decide what is best to do/what I want to do.

It's testament to the 2500k that we are still talking about it to this day, who would have thought over 6 years ago it would last this long, talk about value for money.

Permabanned
@4K8KW10 thanks for the suggested build and advice. I am aware that my 2500k will not be able to put up with new games for much longer, so I guess I will have to make a decision as to, do I hold out as long as possible with my current setup, or do I just get the upgrade done now. I will have to decide what is best to do/what I want to do.

It's testament to the 2500k that we are still talking about it to this day, who would have thought over 6 years ago it would last this long, talk about value for money.

If anything history teaches us. i5-2500K had been ok for quite a while when there wasn't competition and Intel stayed on 4-core processors in the mianstream since 2008, that's 9 years already. Given that we are 100% sure that we are currently in a new 'more cores is better' age, I'm scared with the thought that a 6-core/6-thread processors will stay for that long. I mean I am scared to think that i5-8600K will be enough for more than a year or two.

Look at this table, do you notice where the i5-6600K is? In the bottom.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i5_8600k_processor_review,20.html

Associate
Look at this table, do you notice where the i5-6600K is? In the bottom.

<snip>

You realise this table shows that the 4c/4c i5 6600k is also within 10% of a 10c/20t intel cpu rated to 4.5GHz? So it doesn't really mean a lot. I'd be more intrigued by a comparison of the i5 2500k to the 6600k

Back
Top Bottom