Ryzen or Coffee Lake

Permabanned
You realise this table shows that the 4c/4c i5 6600k is also within 10% of a 10c/20t intel cpu rated to 4.5GHz? So it doesn't really mean a lot. I'd be more intrigued by a comparison of the i5 2500k to the 6600k

i5-2500 will be futher behind. But the real conclusion is that Ryzen is the best buy because you will lose a single or two frames on average but will gain a lot in all other multi-threaded applications. I'd recommend a system with 16 virtual logical processors than just 6 but negligibly faster as per IPC.

Associate
Your best bet is to do what lee32uk said, that is to buy the gpu first and see how well your games run, since your going to buy it anyway. You can then buy a better setup in a years time after the new processors are out.

imo you don't need 3600mhz of ram a good kit of 3000-3200 mhz will suffice.

Associate
OP
Your best bet is to do what lee32uk said, that is to buy the gpu first and see how well your games run, since your going to buy it anyway. You can then buy a better setup in a years time after the new processors are out.

imo you don't need 3600mhz of ram a good kit of 3000-3200 mhz will suffice.
What are the planned processors for next year? Is it just Zen 2 and next Intel refresh? Are they expected to be a significant improvement over the current offerings?

I wasn't sure regarding the RAM if there was any point in going for the 3600mhz as I've read most games don't use much over 2600 to 3000.

Associate
i5-2500 will be futher behind. But the real conclusion is that Ryzen is the best buy because you will lose a single or two frames on average but will gain a lot in all other multi-threaded applications. I'd recommend a system with 16 virtual logical processors than just 6 but negligibly faster as per IPC.

What I meant was to see the progression from the 2500k to the 6600k whilst it stayed as a 4c/4t CPU.

What are the planned processors for next year? Is it just Zen 2 and next Intel refresh? Are they expected to be a significant improvement over the current offerings?

I wasn't sure regarding the RAM if there was any point in going for the 3600mhz as I've read most games don't use much over 2600 to 3000.

Zen 2 is expected first half of the year using the same but a 'refined' process/technology, so not exactly a big improvement IMO. As for Intel, how long is a piece of string, who knows... As for RAM, everything I read says either 3000 or 3200 is the sweet spot.

Permabanned

Ryzen 2000 series we do expect release in quarter 1 early after New Year. February, if we wanna be more specific.
Intel refresh should be Q3 2018 as earliest and will offer more cores, perhaps the i5 will become octocores. i7-9700 is expected to be a 8-core/16-thread just like the current Ryzen 7.
But i7-9700 will require a new motherboard.

We are expecting the new Zen itteration due in February to be a more significant improvement over the current Ryzen 7.

Back
Top Bottom