• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen Pro

Associate
AMD has this page up about the Ryzen Pro series, they were on the initial leaks listed alongside the available processors. They come with 3 year warranty as standard but no listing of an R7 Pro 1800X, the page tops out at R7 Pro 1700X.

https://www.amd.com/en/ryzen-pro

Any ideas when these will be available and pricing, is there also any info on what features these chips will have compared to consumer Ryzen? No mention of ECC memory support which is standard for a workstation CPU but Ryzen consumer might already support ECC, anyone with better knowledge on ECC support care to clarify?

Cheers.

Associate
OP
Seems Ryzen as available supports both ECC and AES 128 bit encryption and come with a 3 year warranty, so it’s a bit confusing what these Ryzen Pro CPU’s are offering feature wise compared to what is available, @AMDMatt do you have any more info? Might be easier to specify Ryzen with the Pro brand positioning in corporate environments that are Intel orthodox, I still think Zen/Zen Pro (AM4/AM4 Pro) for AM4/TR4 would have been better product nomenclature.

Soldato
ECC depends on the chip, motherboard and RAM. From what I've seen ECC works correctly with the right combinations.

Soldato
Ryzen pro is for enterprise/corporate customers only.

I think it's probably something to fill the gap in the NAS/DAS and light work station markets. A certified professional bundle a little like Intel's greenlow platform without the cost of building around a C based chipset.

Associate
OP
I think it's probably something to fill the gap in the NAS/DAS and light work station markets. A certified professional bundle a little like Intel's greenlow platform without the cost of building around a C based chipset.
In that case maybe brand communication should have made a bit more of the low power yet powerful features of the Zen architecture.

It is all a bit of a mess with the real workstation CPU’s being branded as something that sounds far from what the product is and the ‘Pro’ product not including the high end single socket product line.

Soldato
If your in the market for this kind of system you will more than likely know what you want and what is on offer with Ryzen. I'm sure HP and the likes will have ranges in mind.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Will be interesting to see if the pro chips have more OC headroom.

I doubt it and even f they were capable, we'll probably never know as they'll all be in systems that:-

a:- Don't have OC capable motherboards
b:- That manufacturers have locked down the bios on (bios protection is one of the selling points of Ryzen pro).

Soldato
Interested in knowing this toon, is there actually any ECC compatible motherboards for Ryzen yet?

Asrock x370 boards (and maybe B350?) support ECC, but I don't know if Windows would take full advantage of it. Linux kernel >4.10 (so quite old now) supports it fully though. Asrock just keep on popping up as the board to recommend for AM4, whether for the power phases, build quality, features, EFI or in this case ECC. Solid effort tbh. About the only thing I've seen on the negative side is the IOMMU grouping for virtual machines, but a BIOS update can fix that.

Soldato
Asrock x370 boards (and maybe B350?) support ECC, but I don't know if Windows would take full advantage of it. Linux kernel >4.10 (so quite old now) supports it fully though. Asrock just keep on popping up as the board to recommend for AM4, whether for the power phases, build quality, features, EFI or in this case ECC. Solid effort tbh. About the only thing I've seen on the negative side is the IOMMU grouping for virtual machines, but a BIOS update can fix that.

IOMMU is pretty much sorted now.

Back
Top Bottom