S Video to Scart?

Associate
Hi all.

I've just moved my PC next to my television so I thought I might as well connect them together for watching films etc.

The graphics card is an old NVidia FX5200 which has SVideo out, and the TV has a scart input.

I guess I need a SVideo to Scart cable and they're about £5-8 on the bay.

Whats the quality like? Is it worth doing?

Cheers.

Edit: Also, do I need to make sure the cable has a 3.5mm plug for the sound to come out of my computer? If not, I could always use the current output which goes into my amp.

Last edited:
Soldato
you can pick up scart adapters with 2xRCA for sound, RCA for composite video and Svideo connection. Plug this in the tv, regular svideo lead, for sound you could use a 3.5mm->RCA for the sound or use your amp, whatever. All of this depends of course on whether the TV supports Svideo input via that scart, older ones often don't.

Associate
OP
Ahhhh I see, it's quite an old tele, I got it for free.

Tatung or something.

Guess i'l just buy one and see if it works. Any way of getting round it if it dosen't?

Cheers.

Caporegime
Phaser said:
Ahhhh I see, it's quite an old tele, I got it for free.

Tatung or something.

Guess i'l just buy one and see if it works. Any way of getting round it if it dosen't?

Cheers.

Svideo uses a yuv signal so you'd have to buy a converter to change it to rgb or composite depending on what the tv accepts. Another option is to get a vga to scart adaptor.

Soldato
McNutter said:
I've tried s-video to scart cables and they only give a black & white picture. It was on a rubbish TV though so you may get lucky.
It's not down to luck. Your TV either was not set to accept an Svideo signal or it simply couldn't.

Back
Top Bottom