1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saab 9-3 Tid front end noise?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Phat Momma Hoe, 26 Nov 2017.

1. Phat Momma Hoe

Wise Guy

I've had my 2007 Saab 9-3 Tid since August and it's suffered with a weird mechanical 'whiring' sound in all that time.

It almost sounds like a worn baring, I contemplated it being the clutch but having done 4k miles there appears to be no other clutch related issues.

The mystery noise only happens when in gear (moving, not stationary), however dipping the clutch, rolling in neutral or when applying the brakes the noise vanishes (hence my original guess at clutch or flywheel).

I'd rather not get a garage to diagnose without a rough idea of the area of interest to keep cost down.

There is no loss of power
    No overheating
    Fuel efficiency isn't affected
    No obvious adverse effects
    No clutch slip

It's been driving me bloody crazy as you can hear (and feel it) all the time. Did wonder about the cambelt but no idea how a worn one manifests symptoms

Help!

2. Big Spender

Wise Guy

120 or 150 bhp engine?

3. Phat Momma Hoe

Wise Guy

4. Dangerous Dave

Mobster

If the Sabbs use the M32 gearbox probably the 5/6th bearings are worn. Does it make the noise in every gear ?

5. Phat Momma Hoe

Wise Guy

Yeah every gear, I just wish I had a better way to describe the noise but it reminds me of a worn bearing casing with grit in the bearings (such as on a skateboard for instance)
    It's that kind of noise and feel.

6. Big Spender

Wise Guy

It'll most likely be the F40 which doesnt suffer the same fate but there is a chance it could be the M32.

See here for the symptoms of M32 failures http://www.wgmotorworks.co.uk/repairs/transmission/m32-gearbox/

7. Phat Momma Hoe

Wise Guy

It is an f40 btw

8. mrgubby

Soldato

Could be a front wheel bearing.I had one that only I could hear and it went through two MOTs until it actually had some detectable play in it !

9. Phat Momma Hoe

Wise Guy

Can't see it being a wheel bearing as it would be constant rather than only audible when being driven in gear

10. blueboy2001

Mobster

Could be the dual mass flywheel failing, especially if there is some vibration present with it.

Is the noise proportional to road speed or engine speed, or it is more constant?

11. Phat Momma Hoe

Wise Guy

It's a constant, as in doesn't 'rotate' quicker as I accelerate or really change based on road speed.
    Driving me mad, wondering if it could be belt related (bearing in a pulley or something).
    I do get some engine vibration at about 1800 to 1900 if I mash my foot down, but that's about it. Although I hear that's quite common with these

12. wedrum

Soldato

dual mass failure or release bearing

13. Phat Momma Hoe

Wise Guy

Can't imagine it's the release bearing as there are no other effects, no clutch slippage, selection issues etc. Gear box/change feels no different than when I got the car months ago.

14. bremen1874

Capodecina

Not saying it is the release bearing, but a noisy release bearing wouldn't cause any other issues.

15. Vita

Capodecina

Possible main bearing in box. Sounds similar to what I had in my accord. I'm sure release bearing occurs when clutch is dipped.