1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saab 93

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Thrash, 20 Oct 2009.

1. Thrash

Hitman

I'm returning to the UK in December for a few years and will be needing a car. Looking at spending abut 10k, need 4 doors, new as possible.

Having had a quick squint at Autotrader it looks like I can get a 2 year old Saab 93 with low mileage for round about the 10k mark. This looks like a good option, having owned a Saab a while back and liked it. I have looked at comparable BMW's and from what I can see for the same money I would be looking at an older vehicle with higher mileage.

Any opinions or suggestions appreciated.

2. The Edge

Soldato

New Saabs are not a patch on the old ones i'm afraid.

3. brassd

Gangster

I'm fairly sure the 9-3 uses the Vectra's platform and engines (diesels). Bear that in mind if your looking for driving dynamics.

4. Skalaberg

Hitman

I have an 09 plate 9-3 aero ttid hirsch. done around 13000 miles in it now and its a cracking car. You sir are wrong.

;)

5. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Have you driven a BMW 325d M Sport or a Mercedes C250 CDI Sport?

In isolation, perhaps if you've only ever driven Fiestas and a Corsa before, I can see how the Saab might be cracking. However when sensibly compared to its rivals, it's a bit crud.

The 9-3 wasn't a credible rival to Mercedes or BMW back in the E46 days, it certainly isn't now both Mercedes and BMW have had new models for quite a few years yet Saab is still peddling the E46 rival it built on a Vectra and released 7 years ago.

6. Thrash

Hitman

Thanks for the comments so far and I knew we would get some anti GM feeling coming through, some of which I'm sure is justified. I'm not looking at comparing a new Saab 93 with its BMW counterpart but I am looking at the comparison between a 10k Saab 93 and a 10k BMW (anything excluding the 1 series), if you see what I mean.

The Saab I previously owned was one of the first GM associated 900's if I remember correctly and although not the most exciting drive it didn't let me down for a lot of years and was cheap to run. I had a bike to provide all the motoring thrills I required.

7. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

With 10k to spend i'd go to several other makers before Saab ever got hold of the money, these being Honda / Mazda and Ford.

8. Skalaberg

Hitman

Yup..i gave myself a budget of 35k max for a new car...borrowed for 24 hours a 5 series 520d m sport..a 3 series 320d m sport and the merc c class 220d amg sport (the 250 wasnt out at the time) amongst a few others and put my hard earned money on the saab. As nice as all the others were I personally found them uninspiring..go figure eh. Like I said in 6 months I've done around 13k miles in it and love it..the new re-ax steering system is just sublime..I love the torqs and smoothness of it too..but hey its my personel opinion. The point is..I spent my money and haven't regretted it for a minute.

As for you assumption about the fiestas and corsa's etc..Its been a long time since I've been in that league i'm afraid..my memory is a little faded.

i'm not slating the bmw's or any of the others for that matter...they were all very nice..just boring to drive

;)

9. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Jeez, £35k for a car and you bought a Vectra diesel :eek:

10. Skalaberg

Hitman

Dont be a snob all your life bud

;)

11. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Hardly think its snobbery given you must have one of the most expensive cars on this forum :eek:

12. mikeh501

Wise Guy

surely its not even possible to spend 35k on a saab93?? :confused:

13. Skalaberg

Hitman

I gave myself 35k as a max budget..I certainly didnt end up spending that. I'd also be very surprised at a saab 93 being one of the most expensive cars here.

14. Thrash

Hitman

So to add to the mix, I take it you are referring to the Honda Accord, Mazda 6 and Ford Mondeo and you personally rate them higher than a Saab 93?

15. iaind

Capodecina

What are your needs/priorities from a car? That would help suggest something more suitable

16. Sukh

Mobster

17. Thrash

Hitman

Need: 4 door, 5 seats.
    Priorities: Reliable, comfortable, get me to work and good for longer trips (Europe).
    Fuel: Diesel or petrol.

Currently own a Nissan X-Trail and Mazda 3 (in Aus).

In the past always had big bikes for my vehicular thrills.

18. iaind

Capodecina

Volvo S60 D5/T5?

19. Thrash

Hitman

Had not considered the S60 but now added to list, thanks.

20. iaind

Capodecina