1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safely Remove hard drive!? Why would i do that!

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by ComputerDummy, 7 Mar 2006.

1. ComputerDummy

Associate

I have that little icon in the corner you get when u put flash drives in, but its always there and theres only my hard drive in the list! What have i not done!? :rolleyes:

2. semi-pro waster

Man of Honour

You haven't done anything, some SATA controllers allow you to hot-swap your hard drives(although obviously not the boot drive) and there isn't really much of a point in most circumstances but it does give you an additional option. It isn't anything to worry about :)

3. ComputerDummy

Associate

Do you have any suggestions on how to remove this? Im planning on doing a clean install soon so anything that needs to be done from the beggining, im willing!

4. semi-pro waster

Man of Honour

I've got a very vague recollection that there may be some sort of registry hack for it but no idea how or where you get it from. It only happens with some motherboards and isn't a particularly serious problem, it will happen whenever you install your motherboard drivers I believe, you could however see if you can switch SATA to be recognised as IDE in the bios as I think there is some compatability mode on some bioses.

5. Steves_pc

Hitman

If it's an NF4 based board you might find it goes away if you un-install the sata drivers

6. Goksly

Capodecina

dont worry about it.... leave it and just be careful if u remove usb stuff alot :p

7. chex

Hitman

even if you dont it wouldnt let you unmount a hard drive that is in use.

If you had seperate SATA drives for storage then it can be quite useful.