samsung 226cw not right?

Associate
Hi all,

Had my samsung for a few weeks now but just cant seem to get the calibration right, I have used the bundled magic tune and natural colour pro that came on the setup cd but still the screen doesnt look anywhere near as good as my 3 year old benq fp91v+ which sits next to it. I have used the nvidea controll panel to adjust desktop colour settings and i can get my desktop and colours within IE browser looking fairly reasonable but for instance when i open a photo in windows photo gallery it looks very dark and infact the white border that appears around the photos, ie the space the photo dont take up in the new window which should be white is almost a dirty yellow? if i leave the photo window open and then adjust colour and gamma to make the border white as it should be i can get the pic looking reasonable but then my desktop colour just goes to washed out over bright?, its as if the two different windows need calibrating individually. could anyone just confirm the default settings in the nvidea colour settings panel for me please, hope this makes sence lol.

In the pic you can clearly see IE desktop looks ok but as soon as i open a pic folder the colour is awfull?

thanks for any help, cheers

Man of Honour
The SM226CW is an extended colour gamut screen so you may notice differences between it and your old screen because of that. Is there any option in the OSD to simulate sRGB or anything? Don't suppose you have access to a hardware calibration tool at all? maybe worth trying other software methods at least.

Associate
Hi all,

Had my samsung for a few weeks now but just cant seem to get the calibration right, I have used the bundled magic tune and natural colour pro that came on the setup cd but still the screen doesnt look anywhere near as good as my 3 year old benq fp91v+ which sits next to it. I have used the nvidea controll panel to adjust desktop colour settings and i can get my desktop and colours within IE browser looking fairly reasonable but for instance when i open a photo in windows photo gallery it looks very dark and infact the white border that appears around the photos, ie the space the photo dont take up in the new window which should be white is almost a dirty yellow? if i leave the photo window open and then adjust colour and gamma to make the border white as it should be i can get the pic looking reasonable but then my desktop colour just goes to washed out over bright?, its as if the two different windows need calibrating individually. could anyone just confirm the default settings in the nvidea colour settings panel for me please, hope this makes sence lol.

In the pic you can clearly see IE desktop looks ok but as soon as i open a pic folder the colour is awfull?

thanks for any help, cheers

That does look really awful :eek:

What are your settings?

Associate
OP
Well i have reset the actual monitor back to default its on "natural" at the moment, and the nvidea colour controls are as you can see in the screen snip, just confusing how colours within web browser and pages ar not too bad also gaming looks good, but when i open up my pics folder as you can see they look awfull??

I applied the photo of the kids as a background wallpaper and adjusted it as good as i could using nvidea colour control panel and as you can see it looks "fair" in fact adjusting the colour i cannot get any lighter without washing out features, I have also opened them up in windows pic viewer and you can see how dark in contrast to the wallpaper the same pic looks, its the yellowness of the border that gets me, as well as the whole phot looking stained??? im puzzled:confused:

thanks for any help

Associate
Well i have reset the actual monitor back to default its on "natural" at the moment, and the nvidea colour controls are as you can see in the screen snip, just confusing how colours within web browser and pages ar not too bad also gaming looks good, but when i open up my pics folder as you can see they look awfull??

I applied the photo of the kids as a background wallpaper and adjusted it as good as i could using nvidea colour control panel and as you can see it looks "fair" in fact adjusting the colour i cannot get any lighter without washing out features, I have also opened them up in windows pic viewer and you can see how dark in contrast to the wallpaper the same pic looks, its the yellowness of the border that gets me, as well as the whole phot looking stained??? im puzzled:confused:

thanks for any help

I'm confused too, perhaps it's not so much a problem with the colour profile but the pic viewer for some reason?

I've tried to replicate your test, but using windows xp pic viewer I'm not getting the issue you are. Saying that, I still have to calibrate my monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm confused too, perhaps it's not so much a problem with the colour profile but the pic viewer for some reason?

I've tried to replicate your test, but using windows xp pic viewer I'm not getting the issue you are. Saying that, I still have to calibrate my monitor.

thanks for your help, ive been fiddling with the settings and managed to lighten the pic viewer a little but still there is yellow tint visible :confused: would you be able to give me your monitor settings? also maybe if you have nvidea controll panel could you let me know what settings you have in there, and i will see how my pic compares with the exact same settings as you.

thanks again

Associate
Afraid to report I have an ATI panel and I'm not sure how that compares to the Nvidia panel?

My setting in Magic run are
Brightness 15
Contrast 44

I haven't touched any of the colours there.

But then I like my monitor to be rather dark.

I have been waiting for someone to release a calibrated profile that I can try, but as yet haven't been able to find one.

Back
Top Bottom