Samsung 840 or 830

Associate
Hi guys I have been thinking of getting a samsung SSD. I have noticed that their two types the 840 and the 830 so I'm not sure which one to go for. What are the main differentness between the two. which one should i go for

Soldato
No offence but it doesn't sound like you've done even a basic level of research.

830 is the outgoing (discontinued?) model, 840 replaces it. 840 (and Pro) are very quick, I think the Pro is regarded as the fastest SSD around currently, but it comes at a premium. 830 is no slouch either.

If money is no object 840 is the better choice, otherwise it's a question of how important the extra performance is to you and whether you'd actually notice it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info. No offence taken, maybe I should have given more info. I know the 840 is the newer model but looking at the description of the old and new drive there seems not to be much between them, how do they differ in real world performance? Is the pro worth the extra cash for the speed boost? sorry if this does not make any sense!!

Soldato
It's one of those things really where it's only worth it relative to what you're coming from, and your expectations.

If you're coming from regular hard disks then pretty much any SSD will seem like a revelation. If you're moving from an already decent SSD to the 840/840 Pro then it might end up being the case that the only difference you notice is in synthetic benchmarks.

Real world performance depends on what you actually do. If it's just games then you could be talking about a fraction of a second faster loading a map or something, whereas if you're transferring data around frequently as part of your work (e.g. audio processing, etc) or whatever then it could translate to several seconds on each transfer.

Ultimately at the bleeding edge you're always going to be paying considerably more for a few percent improvement. Whether this is something you can reconcile depends on your bank balance really :)

Associate
Hi guys I have been thinking of getting a samsung SSD. I have noticed that their two types the 840 and the 830 so I'm not sure which one to go for. What are the main differentness between the two. which one should i go for

if you can afford the 840 go for it, there's no question about that, if it's a semi budget build go for the 830 the difference is not that massive :)

ntg

ntg

Associate
A small correction.

840 (the 128gb version) will give you the same speeds as 830 and the 830 has better nand (from what I've read). While 840 is a 'newer' model it doesn't give you any benefit over 830 and they have the same price.

Everybody on these forums recommends the 830 over the 840, as it's more reliable based on experiences and has better nand.

UNLESS you are going for the 840 PRO version. There is a big difference between the 840 non-pro and the 840 pro.

I was looking at the same thing a week ago and went for the 830. It's great.

Associate
I have been using the 830 for a few months now on a heavily used machine and had no issues. I would highly recommend it.

Associate
No offence but it doesn't sound like you've done even a basic level of research.
No offence but thats why he/she asked here. Not every one knows every thing. In fact no one know everything. I have seen people with posts in the 0000's asking basic questions. Please don't start your answer with that line.

People come here for help. Just as me.on another forum I joined for 5 yrs. Inow how to search so didn't post there. But when I did they were helpful. I.E "No Offence" the OP has only 42 posts. Please consider that before " No Offence" Sorry. I have left Very good forums becase of answers like this. You don't know what condition the OP mind is in. Or what they do for a living. So please try and help, as you did. Helping will bring more people here and more knowledge is good for everyone. My little rant. Sorry. But it's true...

Soldato
I have to concur with what everyone says about speed. Either of those or the crucial m4 is an excellent upgrade from old spinning HDDs. You will never notice the difference if you are just a gamer/casual user between the pro and normal models unless you want to get into benchmarking.

Back
Top Bottom