Samsung 870 EVO vs QVO

Soldato
Depends what size you go for as the SLC cache (the cache that makes it as fast as the EVO) depends on the total size of the drive, 1TB it's 42GB, above that it's 78GB.

If it's going to be a storage/game drive QVO would be the better value for money option IMO.

Associate
OP
Depends what size you go for as the SLC cache (the cache that makes it as fast as the EVO) depends on the total size of the drive, 1TB it's 42GB, above that it's 78GB.

If it's going to be a storage/game drive QVO would be the better value for money option IMO.

Well I want a 4tb so that seems like QVO will do fine, its for music production libraries so its going to be read only mostly.

Does the QVO have the same write perfomance?

Soldato
It does until you fill the 78GB cache then it craters (going from around 530 to 160 MB/s) until it's had time to flush the 78GB SLC cache to the QLC NAND.

The other differences IIRC are the QVO comes with 2 years less warranty (3 vs 5) and lower endurance of 1440 vs 2400 TBW.

Associate
OP
It does until you fill the 78GB cache then it craters (going from around 530 to 160 MB/s) until it's had time to flush the 78GB SLC cache to the QLC NAND.

The other differences IIRC are the QVO comes with 2 years less warranty (3 vs 5) and lower endurance of 1440 vs 2400 TBW.

Actually its probably worth it just for the increased TBW, its only money...

thanks.

I'm going to get a DS218play NAS because I dont want any hard drives in the build but do you know if they power the disks off when not used for a time like in a pc. I can see that there are special disks for nas that are optimised for being on all the time, but initially I'll be using just regular hard disks, so i'd like them to power down like a pc?

Soldato
If it's only money can i borrow a tenner...;) j/k

On the NAS front i don't have any experience with them, hopefully someone else can chime in.

Man of Honour
It's not a particularly big issue with SSDs like it would have been a dozen HDDs, because they use very little power in idle and if I remember right from reviews the Samsung drives are pretty good when idle, even without the support of a modern OS. From the very best to very worst it's only like... 1 watt.

If the drive is going to be 99% read only then QLC memory wouldn't bother me at all, but one concern I'd have that may have no actual foundation is that I'm not sure if data retention is similar for QLC drives and if these will be long-term parked in a NAS, it's something I'd investigate.

Back
Top Bottom