Samsung 980 Pro

Associate
Any news on the release date on this? On paper looking extremely fast. Pretty sure if it will be extremely expensive when it is released.

Associate
Could have named this 980 Evo Plus Plus
Seems to beat previous gen while being cheaper, and mostly beats other Pcie4 drives.
Expect Phison E18 drives to be faster tho.

Soldato
Worse yet it’s TLC, not MLC like the predecessor. Don’t see a reason to go for the pro anymore :(
Think positively: Evo might be with "4-bit" MLC...
Though 3D NAND actually made TLC behave/perform like old planar MLC.
So performance wise there really aren't much problems.
Though write endurance is disappointing for "Pro".

Soldato
https://www.storagereview.com/review/samsung-980-pro-pcie-4-0-nvme-ssd-review
Conclusion
The Samsung SSD 980 Pro is the latest consumer-grade SSD to hit the PCIe Gen 4×4 market, featuring the company’s V-NAND 3bit MLC technology, an all-new Elpis controller, backward-compatibility with PCIe 3.0, and NVMe 1.3 support. The 980 Pro is targeted at gamers and professionals with high-end machines as well as prosumers looking to leverage the latest and greatest in SSD technology.

Though the price gap is noticeable, you definitely get what you pay for in this instance. The 980 Pro is a must-buy premium drive and is certainly worth dishing out the extra ~$50, especially if for enthusiasts who have a system that supports the technology.
I believe the 970 pro has 2 bit nand. I'm waiting for the E18 Phison reviews.

Last edited:
Soldato
Outside of professional work would a gamer even notice any difference on one of these? Say going from a 950/960 Pro to a 980?
I would definitely keep your 950 pro or 960pro. Those are MLC much more robust. And faster.
Old MLC SATA drives sell for ridiculous prices on fleebay

Permabanned
Waiting for the 2tb version i suspect £499 roughly it will go well with Zen3 i think this will be a popular setup for most Ryzen 4000 and a 980 pro 1tb or 2tb.

Soldato
was thinking of upgrading from e16 controller drive I have now to the 980 pro, but I think I'll wait for the E18 drives as there on paper seems to be no downsides, they are apparently faster than the 980 pro at everything

Soldato
The Samsung drives are way overpriced and have no real world advantages over the competition. I just bagged a gen 4 1tb sabrent rocket for a bargain price :)

Ive seen them around the £110-120 mark , I went with the blue gen3 for £80 ;)

Any news on when that's coming out? Been looking but can't find a date.
No info on release date yet :(

Back
Top Bottom