Samsung Galaxy Note: 5.3", 1200x800 SuperAMOLED, S-PEN stylus, 2500mAh attery... *phew*

Soldato
Is it locked to p2p our could I put my t mobile Sim into it and ditch the Sim that comes with it?

n question for those that bought from German rain forest, was there any extra tax etc to pay n how long did it take to receive?

Cheers

Associate
Is it locked to p2p our could I put my t mobile Sim into it and ditch the Sim that comes with it?

n question for those that bought from German rain forest, was there any extra tax etc to pay n how long did it take to receive?

Cheers

No extra tax as it's in the EU. I ordered on the 16th and it arrived on the 21st.

Pij

Pij

Associate
Silly question here, I havnt used a android phone since the HTC Magic. I don't like the look of touchwiz, can you still change the launcher, keyboard etc without voiding the warranty?

Pij

Pij

Associate
Cheers, just wondered as I've read a few times people saying when ICS comes it won't be clean but have touchwiz forced on it.

But I didn't see the issue if you could just change the launched anyway

Soldato
The Note definitely needs rooting, tweaking etc, because having used it for an hour or so now, I have noticed the S2 is smoother even though the Note has the faster processor.

Associate
The Note definitely needs rooting, tweaking etc, because having used it for an hour or so now, I have noticed the S2 is smoother even though the Note has the faster processor.

The resolution has been increased a lot more than the processor speed.

Have you updated to KK9? I did it as soon as I got the phone so can't compare, but it's supposed to improve performance.

Soldato
I haven't updated it no, whats the simplest way to update please? I am still very new to Android. I have rooted it though, and installed Titanium backup and removed loads of Samsung junk which has made it a bit better but it still doesn't feel as fluid as the S2 when scrolling through the menus. I've got my PS3 pad connected too it, will try out some emulator games in a short while but I've almost got it set up exactly the same as my S2. :)

Soldato
o2 bare minimum contract plus quidco seems the way to go - I keep getting errors when trying to checkout on the o2 site though, and the address input keeps having a fit and telling me it's not a valid post code. :mad: I presume you can't use quido if you have to buy from their telesales line?!:p

Soldato
Videos, games, internet browsing is absolutely brilliant on this, and that is around 80% of my usage which justifies the purchase in my mind. I do not own a tablet or a laptop so this is my all in one device which I can carry around comfortably. Off to look for a bluetooth headset... :p

Associate
Tested GPS today on a 1.5hr car journey, very fast lock and accuracy was spot on. Only a brief moment where I lost lock on the journey home, but it resolved itself quickly. Very impressed.

My only concern so far is battery life when browsing. Browsing lots of light websites with this massive screen really drains the battery like nothing else. Think I'll be getting a spare battery to carry around.

I own a tablet, but I've not actually used it since getting the Note. This screen size hits a real sweet spot for me.

Soldato
When I first got my GS2 I thought it was faulty because the GPS took an age to lock the first time I tried using Copilot, after that though it was fine. The Note took about 5 seconds to lock the first time I tried it, will take it on a test run tomorrow. Can't comment on battery life yet.

Anyone have a decent car holder for the Note? I purchased the Nokia one off ebay for the GS2 which I will have to sell now which is a shame along with my GS2 spare battery!

Caporegime
OP
I own a tablet, but I've not actually used it since getting the Note. This screen size hits a real sweet spot for me.

You do have to zoom in a bit for most sites to read them properly though, right? Also is typing a breeze on that size screen? Im ham fisted to say the least when it comes to on-screen keyboards.

Associate
You do have to zoom in a bit for most sites to read them properly though, right? Also is typing a breeze on that size screen? Im ham fisted to say the least when it comes to on-screen keyboards.

No, I don't have to zoom in on any site to read them in landscape mode, not even slightly. That's what makes it so great.

The only time I need to zoom is if I'm reading a forum thread and want to tap on one of the little numbers to go to a specific page. Or I can just use the pen to do that without zooming too.

It's certainly easier than my iPhone for typing, simply because the keys are bigger. Plus the pen works extremely well with Swype, making it a great option for fast typing.

Last edited:
Associate
Videos, games, internet browsing is absolutely brilliant on this, and that is around 80% of my usage which justifies the purchase in my mind. I do not own a tablet or a laptop so this is my all in one device which I can carry around comfortably. Off to look for a bluetooth headset... :p

Get yourself a SE MW600, you wont be sorry.

Soldato
When I first got my GS2 I thought it was faulty because the GPS took an age to lock the first time I tried using Copilot, after that though it was fine. The Note took about 5 seconds to lock the first time I tried it, will take it on a test run tomorrow. Can't comment on battery life yet.

Anyone have a decent car holder for the Note? I purchased the Nokia one off ebay for the GS2 which I will have to sell now which is a shame along with my GS2 spare battery!

I can recommend a Clingo, works really well with my Streak. It uses a sticky pad, holds very securely and mine is as good as it was a year ago when i bought it.

Soldato
No, I don't have to zoom in on any site to read them in landscape mode, not even slightly. That's what makes it so great.

I second this. In landscape mode I can comfortably browse websites without zooming in at all.

I tested out all my emulators today, it was awesome on the S2 screen, but this is just something else. I showed a mate of mine today who currently has the S2, he wants one.

Associate
To show the performance improvement with the latest firmware. Running stock gingerbread 2.3.6 KK9 I now get a sunspider score of ~1900 and browsermark of ~89,000.

This phone is a beast.

Back
Top Bottom