Samsung Galaxy Tab A - Good for Privacy?

Associate
I am thinking about changing from iPad to Galaxy Tab A 10.1 because I want more privacy and control. I don’t like being followed around the internet and data-raped by Google et al.

Given that Android is Google is it possible to shut Google out or change the os to something else entirely? I am not techie so it would need to be straightforward.

Are better ad-blockers available for say Firefox on Android? I like to use YouTube, on my PC all ads are blocked but nothing works satisfactorily on iPad.

Thanks in advance
Palmerstone

Soldato
If you're that paranoid then as long as custom ROMs are available then yes, it's possible to make the Tab A more privacy focused. An example is using LineageOS without installing the Google Apps package, meaning no Google at all although you will need to use an alternative app store. F-Droid is a good alternative that offers free and open source apps, and marks which apps have "anti-features" such as ads, tracking, etc. NewPipe is a YouTube app alternative which has no Google tracking and ads at all, and sounds perfect for your use.

Firefox can currently install most desktop add-ons such as uBlock Origin, but Mozilla is redesigning the app and is still being worked on (Firefox Preview). They only just added basic extension support with uBlock, but they plan to have a majority of their recommended extensions compatible with the final stable version of it.

Back
Top Bottom