Associate
First of all, this is NOT meant to be a bad review, it is just advice and help to get the best out of this product. If anything, aside from the small issues that are easily worked around with the info below, this is an amazing monitor that I highly recommend.

So I recently received my new Samsung Odyssey G9 and wanted to share my experience so far and hopefully help some of you out with troubleshooting the issues I have already come across and solved. One of the first things I wanted to do was to make sure I was on the latest firmware, however, updating the firmware is very problematic but, I managed to do it in the end.

So firmware, first of all, the firmware file on the Samsung website is located here:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/odyssey-gaming-monitor-g9-series

Looks simple enough, just click the download button next to where it says Firmware... NO!!!

Clicking the download button downloads the instructions to install the firmware (which are wrong) not the actual firmware. You have to click 'See More' and then click Download next to the latest firmware version, in my case it was:

Upgrade File(USB type)
Version 1006.2

Now you have the firmware, unzip it, pop it on a USB, stick the USB in the service port and go to 'Software Update' under the 'Support' menu option of the screen. It probably won't work, first of all, the instructions tell you to rename the file to a binary file, with a .bin extension. DO NOT DO THIS, leave it as a .img file!!!

Secondly, these screens are very picky about which USB's they will work with, you can't just use any, believe me, I bought 4 all together trying to get this to work so let me save you the pain. It only works with a USB that is 16Gb and formatted as FAT32, any bigger than 16Gb and you won't be able to format it as FAT32. Even then it will only work with some makes of USB, not all, the one I bought that I can confirm as working is per the link below:

**No Competitors **

SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16 GB USB Flash Drive USB 2.0

Most other USB drives won't work, but this one does. Format the USB as FAT32 and put the .img file on there, from within the downloaded .zip firmware file, ensuring it is the ONLY file on the USB. Now you can follow the rest of the instructions to update the firmware. It's taken me about 8 hours of Samsung phone support and days of research to bring you this info so hopefully, it will help you out.

Next, after a bit of digging about Samsung recommends installing an application of theirs called 'Easy Setting Box' that lets you split your screen into sections to drag and drop multiple windows into predefined locations or screen sections, great for productivity but guess what, it doesn't work!!! At least when I tried it, it didn't. Whenever I dropped an application into a screen section the window just turned completely black and you couldn't even close it, it was just a black box on the screen. You could move it about but it never came back to normal view again, I had to close it from 'Task Manager'.

Luckily, I found a great, FREE, alternative that works an absolute treat and does exactly what the Samsung product is supposed to do, if not even better and easier to use. It's called FancyZones and is part of a suite of small free applications called PowerToys available at the link below:

https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/releases/tag/v0.23.2

Scroll to the bottom and click on the 'PowerToysSetup-0.23.2-x64.exe' or whichever is the latest version, download and install, it's pretty easy to set up once installed.

Anyway, there you go, that's my help and advice to anyone buying one of these, or has already bought one of these screens. Once all the faf and hassle of sorting this stuff out is done, it really is a beautiful and stunning bit of kit, you won't be disappointed with.

If anyone from Samsung happens to read this, I recommend this product should ship with a compatible Firmware USB stick and USB extension cables. Getting to the USB ports at the back, and taking the cover on and off is a bit of a pain. It's not expensive to purchase these items separately and I recommend anyone buying one of these screens do so but, it would be so much nicer and easier if it came with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Hmmm I was going to get the g9 on Black Friday but after reading the bad reviews I might wait for the next release?

I think you misunderstood the review, it wasn't meant to be a bad review, believe me, the screen is amazing. It was meant to help anyone looking to buy one get over the hurdles I had to go through, with the info I've provided, you won't have any issues. I've got mine and, even after all the hassle, I'd do it all again due to how good the screen is. But, lucky you, I've given you all the info you need to not have to feel my pain and get straight to the good stuff.

Last edited:
Associate
Small tip, I found if you unplug the USB lead from your computer then the update works just fine. Well that’s what worked for me it would not see the usb with the firmware on, unplugged the usb from my computer and bingo worked like a dream.

Also love this display

Associate

Hi Dave

Just wanted to say thanks so much for your post. I was really struggling to update to the latest firmware too. I tried about 4 different USB sticks of varying sizes and none worked. Also tried unplugging the USB cable from monitor to PC before doing update but had no joy. The G9 detected the sticks but just couldn't read the update files on there. I went ahead and purchased the USB stick you recommended and boom! Worked first time.

Also that FancyZones is great and works perfectly.

;):D

Soldato
I also want to thank you for this post. Just opened my early present today and have been trying to update the firmware tonight with no joy. Now ordered one of these sticks so hopefully can do it on Monday. Current firmware is 1006.2 on my monitor.

Associate
Same, just got this monitor yesterday and ordered one of the pen drives.

Is there anyway to resize cutscenes in games like the Witcher 3, Outer Worlds and so on?

Associate
I updated my firmware with an old 8gb drive I had knocking around without issue, once I’d discovered the right USB port to use which is no mean feat given the size of the monitor.

‘I didn’t realize at first there are two layered together, make sure you actually using the service one.

There is no way to change cutscene sizes, you do get used to it I think

Associate
Another thank you to Dave from me.
This post has put an end to much frustration at the terrible update process, janky official instructions and inability to update from any modern USB stick (even though it'll happily act like a hub for any usb stick you give it).

Which is a shame as it is such a fantastic monitor.

Associate
Dave, really, many thanks for the TIP !
After testing all my USB keys but one (that was used for Windows 10 installation), I spent hours trying to find a solution ont the web and finally found your post. I was lucky as the only usb drive I did not test was a "SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16 GB USB Flash Drive USB 2.0" ! And it worked on the first try, I can now use the 240HZ refresh rate.

Thanks again !

Associate
Hi all, my first time posting on here.

hope you don't mind hijacking the thread. Thanks Dave for the advice on the upgrade above - there's a new version out so I'll give it a go soon. I've had this monitor since November and very very pleased with it. I've have a RTX 3080 on order since whenever, but I'm suprised how well my exisiting 1060 is coping with it.
Anyway, I had a question - what's the prupose of the PC IN USB port; there's cable for it that comes with the G9 and I've plugged it in but if it's not used for firmware upgrades, anyone know what its purpose is?
Cheers

Associate
Hi all, my first time posting on here.

Anyway, I had a question - what's the prupose of the PC IN USB port; there's cable for it that comes with the G9 and I've plugged it in but if it's not used for firmware upgrades, anyone know what its purpose is?
Cheers

That cable will be your upstream usb, out from the pc and into the monitor. That enables you to then use the other USB A type ports on the monitor as a hub or for installing the firmware upgrade.

Talking of firmware, you mentioned there was a new version. Do you happen to know the number for that as I've been on the lookout for a version later than 1008.1

Associate
That cable will be your upstream usb, out from the pc and into the monitor. That enables you to then use the other USB A type ports on the monitor as a hub or for installing the firmware upgrade.

Talking of firmware, you mentioned there was a new version. Do you happen to know the number for that as I've been on the lookout for a version later than 1008.1

You're up to date then, just me that isn't. 1008.1 is the latest there.

Thanks for the usb info, so it's just to let the pc connect to other usb devices if I plug them into the monitor hub. Makes sense, though I have to say I've got zero need for that :) so I'll remove the cable. If only it would let you update the monitor from the PC rather than the faff with the cover and the stick. That would be good.

Associate
You're up to date then, just me that isn't. 1008.1 is the latest there.

Thanks for the usb info, so it's just to let the pc connect to other usb devices if I plug them into the monitor hub. Makes sense, though I have to say I've got zero need for that :) so I'll remove the cable. If only it would let you update the monitor from the PC rather than the faff with the cover and the stick. That would be good.

Thank you for confirming the firmware version. I'm much the same as you in that I have zero need for that cable or hub apart from the odd firmware update :)

Back
Top Bottom