Which is the prefered drive the

Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache

or Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 250GB ST3250824AS SATA-II 8MB Cache

Both for reliablity and quietness

Thanks

Mike

Associate
another Incoming spanner

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB ST3320620AS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-078-SE)
The Barracuda 7200.10 is the largest, most reliable disc drive around. New perpendicular recording technology supports vertically stored data bits, enabling increased areal density and dependability for workstations and performance PCs.

- Capacity: 320 GB
- Speed: 7200 rpm
- Interface: SATA-II
- Cache: 16MB
- 5 year manufacturer''s warranty

this is the new kind of perpendicular drive .all drives will be made this way from now on .and from all the reviews i have read on them they seem very fast

Associate
Epitaxial said:
Why?

Mike

Personally i think the 16Mb cache is worth getting, just for speeds sake and less £'s, Western Digital are fairly reliable drives, after Seagate (i think), check the poll in the Harddrive thread as for how reliably they run, i cant say i've ever heard much difference between the drives i've owned, whichever brand. A lot of noise can be down to how you mount them... eg there are mounts you can buy to dampen vibration on OcUK. (this is just my experience though, i'd suggest perhaps getting more feedback on this)

Out of the two drives you suggested most definately would go for the Seagate... as smids once pointed out to me... the NCQ on those drives can be particularly good.

I mainly suggested the Western Digital as im getting one tomorrow, lol so i am slightly biased ;)

Associate
duncan888 said:
The Samsung drive is the quietest drive out there if noise levels in the equation

Only partly true. Nothing beats a seagate at idle for quietness but the samsung is slightly quieter when seeking. I mount 1 of my segates in a string sling so no vibration noise in case and made a big difference.

Soldato
Foehammer2003 said:
there are mounts you can buy to dampen vibration on OcUK.
I'm finally getting round to ordering two of the 320GB Seagates tomorrow, can you post the link for these dampener thingys? I could only find ones for case fans? Or are they the same things :rolleyes:

Cheers,

SW.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom