Samsung Q80T Owner reviews

Associate
Afternoon,

Am hovering over the buy button on the 65" version of the Q80T. This would be upgrading a sony bravia 55" 4k set that we got about 5 years ago. The bravia has a slow and clunky UI and I've always found the HDR to be underwhelming and washed out. So fancy a change, the Q80T seems to tick most boxes with HDMI 2.1 and VRR. It will be mainly used for family viewing and 4k movies etc and for use with A series X Xbox. How do people feel about this set? Ive read the reviews etc but would like to hear the opinions of people who own the set. Worth picking up or is there a better alternative?

Soldato
Afternoon,

Am hovering over the buy button on the 65" version of the Q80T. This would be upgrading a sony bravia 55" 4k set that we got about 5 years ago. The bravia has a slow and clunky UI and I've always found the HDR to be underwhelming and washed out. So fancy a change, the Q80T seems to tick most boxes with HDMI 2.1 and VRR. It will be mainly used for family viewing and 4k movies etc and for use with A series X Xbox. How do people feel about this set? Ive read the reviews etc but would like to hear the opinions of people who own the set. Worth picking up or is there a better alternative?

I have the TV and it's amazing for HDR pc gaming at 4k 120hz and it has a really bright clear picture even in a bright room.

The game mode gets very bright and lots of ways to tune the picture.

There is a couple of big issues with this TV though, the HDMI 2.1 port has serious compatibility issues, to get a picture on port 4 I have to switch to port 4 on the TV and then completely switch off the PC at the wall and switch back on and do a cold boot. Pressing reset etc does nothing pc has to be completely unplugged every morning.

The other issue is the picture gets really dim when watching HDR movies. Normal TV / sky etc looks amazing and is very bright and so is gaming but for some reason gets really dim on HDR movies.

At 4k60hz the freesync is rough it has low input lag but stuttering.

At 4k 120hz the gaming is super smooth and super low input lag, the HDR games like red dead are stunning and so much range in colours and brightness compared to my 2018 Q8. The VRR has range of 20fps to 120fps which is great.

I nearly sent the TV back twice because of the hdmi issues but I have got the hang of it now.

The viewing angles are great from any angle and picture looks just as good in bright room as dark room.

Associate
I've been keeping an eye on these q led Samsung's myself, however in another thread Simmz mentioned that these TVs don't support Dolby vision the leading HDR format. Which could explain the dimness while using streaming services HDR. I would do some research on this if I were you and check what the Xbox uses.
Edit: https://www.whathifi.com/news/the-xbox-series-x-does-not-support-hdr10-after-all

Last edited:
Soldato
The other issue is the picture gets really dim when watching HDR movies. Normal TV / sky etc looks amazing and is very bright and so is gaming but for some reason gets really dim on HDR movies.

even though no dolby vision, and little hdr10+ content,
doesn't if do dynamic tone mapping that should help ie set local dimming : normal, contrast enhancer low

Local Dimming: High (in Movie/Filmmaker modes, setting Local Dimming to High allows to disable dynamic tone mapping for more precise PQ EOTF tracking)
Contrast Enhancer: Low (for HDR10+ content you might want to keep it Off, regular HDR10 without dynamic tone mapping looks too dark without it due to tone curve being constant through the entire presentation which (always) results in too much dimming and slight desaturation)

Caporegime
Afternoon,

I doubt sets from 5 years ago did HDR tbh.

Personally I'd be looking at an LG OLED as a true upgrade.

Associate
OP
I doubt sets from 5 years ago did HDR tbh.

Personally I'd be looking at an LG OLED as a true upgrade.

This is the set, bought 5 years ago and does do HDR

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IF52BE4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Am ruling out OLED for time being, burn in would be a real issue in our household.

I have the TV and it's amazing for HDR pc gaming at 4k 120hz and it has a really bright clear picture even in a bright room.

The game mode gets very bright and lots of ways to tune the picture.

There is a couple of big issues with this TV though, the HDMI 2.1 port has serious compatibility issues, to get a picture on port 4 I have to switch to port 4 on the TV and then completely switch off the PC at the wall and switch back on and do a cold boot. Pressing reset etc does nothing pc has to be completely unplugged every morning.

At 4k60hz the freesync is rough it has low input lag but stuttering.

At 4k 120hz the gaming is super smooth and super low input lag, the HDR games like red dead are stunning and so much range in colours and brightness compared to my 2018 Q8. The VRR has range of 20fps to 120fps which is great.

I nearly sent the TV back twice because of the hdmi issues but I have got the hang of it now.

The viewing angles are great from any angle and picture looks just as good in bright room as dark room.

Thanks for the review, dissapointing to hear HDR Movies don't quite cut it. One of the big reasons I want rid of our current set is the dissapointing HDR on 4k movies. Think I will have to give this some more thought.

Caporegime

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IF52BE4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Am ruling out OLED for time being, burn in would be a real issue in our household.

Thanks for the review, dissapointing to hear HDR Movies don't quite cut it. One of the big reasons I want rid of our current set is the dissapointing HDR on 4k movies. Think I will have to give this some more thought.

Yeah that's a poor set. The XE90 which is a generation newer and a series higher would have been the best cheap Sony in the mid range to get for hdr. I never heard of XD90 so I doubt if there was one it was worth buying. You bought a year too early I think.

Yours was a generation too early. A bit like the HD ready and Full HD debacle.

I mistakenly bought a HD ready TV from Samsung 20 years ago. I was in high school so not that clued up. Had to upgrade to proper full HD a few years later.

Soldato

Why not get the model above, the Q90t has had massive price drops.

The Q90T is same thing but much better at movies and pushes out a crazy 2000 nits in all modes.

Back
Top Bottom