Samsung reportedly inks deal to buy OLED TV panels from rival LG Display

Caporegime
What the... https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/9/2...nics-lg-display-oled-tv-panels-quantum-dot-qd :eek:

That was unexpected. I know QLED is a a heavily overmarketed and overpriced LED, but I did not expect Samsung to bow their head like this and source OLED panels from LG. I mean, it's a good business decision, I just didn't expect them to swallow their pride like that. I guess it is just more evidence, if any were needed, that MicroLED is nowhere near ready for prime time.

On the plus side, Samsung software is imo way better than LG's with better apps and on-demand services, so Samsung OLED's hitting the market may be a good thing and further drive down prices.

What do you guys think? :)

Soldato
They will be going down the QD-OLED route. I always wondered if they would build their own or bite their tongues and utilise LG. Seems the latter is going to happen.

But as you said Microled/oled is probably further away than expected.

Soldato
Hahaha

Vincent from HDTV says it's because Samsung has compared its display arm's QD OLeD to LG's WOLeD and found that QD-OLED is years behind LG's WOLED in image quality, as such they have decided to use LG panels until such time that QD OLED can compete.

this leaves Samsung's panel manufacturing in a precarious spot because they haven't being able to sign any contract to supply QD OLED, not even Samsung want to use a Samsung OLED

Soldato
They had to give in the end, QLED was just a marketing word to confuse people with OLED. Deep down they knew this but couldn't keep on banging the same drum while waiting for Micro OLED.

Soldato
What the... https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/9/2...nics-lg-display-oled-tv-panels-quantum-dot-qd :eek:

That was unexpected. I know QLED is a a heavily overmarketed and overpriced LED, but I did not expect Samsung to bow their head like this and source OLED panels from LG. I mean, it's a good business decision, I just didn't expect them to swallow their pride like that. I guess it is just more evidence, if any were needed, that MicroLED is nowhere near ready for prime time.

On the plus side, Samsung software is imo way better than LG's with better apps and on-demand services, so Samsung OLED's hitting the market may be a good thing and further drive down prices.

What do you guys think? :)
No way, WebOS is the best TV OS by far.

Soldato
The only thing I liked about Samsung when I last had one was that it had more apps available than LG but as far as usability, comfort and performance goes, WebOS wins easily

Soldato
LG have the new oled production capability china (exceeding their ability to build the tv's ?) where they want economies of scale, so Samsung transaction seems logical.
LG getting out of phones, back to core competencies maybe not unrelated, too.

Should drive oled prices down,
will be interesting if Samsung market oleds in premium segment like sony/panasonic (binned panels?), or, more in the philips oled segment,

Wonder how/if burn-in liability impacts diversity of portfolio (lcd vs oled) manufacturers adopt samsung can obviously keep their eye in, on the systems to mitigate burn in too, which maybe relevant later for QD-OLED too.

Caporegime
I doubt prices will decrease any faster than they normally would. If anything Samsung oled's will likely be the most expensive on the market. So prices may just stagnate as a result.

Back
Top Bottom