Santoku knives and cleavers, any good brands?

Soldato
Hi folks, we're finally upgrading our crappy knifes to something better. A family member has given us a set of chefs knives (brand unclear, German going by the markings) which we'll try for a bit and see how they last, but in the mean time we're trying to get santoku knives (5", 7") and cleaver to go with it (on recommendation of a cookery course I've bought my wife as a present and is part of the recommended kit)

Has anyone got these, are they any good, and what brands/ranges do people recommend?

I was looking at the Victorinox fibrox as they dishwash well and we're very impressed by the tomato utility knife we have from that range (always sharp), but apparently it is stamped steel and very light, which apparently might be bad and forged may be better?

These ProCook X50 ones look surprisingly affordable, but are they too cheap to be decent? We've just put up with a woeful set of KitchenCraft knifes that just don't stay sharp and I really don't want that hassle anymore. (by contrast an old GaryRhodes branded Richardson Sheffield knife from 2000 has never needed sharpening so clearly there are decent knives out there. I started by looking for that brand again but Richardson went bust in 2007, sold to Amefa, and now everything is made overseas. The low prices they sell for make me suspect as to the quality.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, yeah I'd missed that thread. Have just added a link to it.

If it will last I'm happy paying more. So it's cheap punt or more only if definitely worth it as a lifetime investment kind of thing. But ideally <£100 (and <£150 for all three if possible.)

Soldato
Hi folks, we're finally upgrading our crappy knifes to something better. A family member has given us a set of chefs knives (brand unclear, German going by the markings) which we'll try for a bit and see how they last, but in the mean time we're trying to get santoku knives (5", 7") and cleaver to go with it (on recommendation of a cookery course I've bought my wife as a present and is part of the recommended kit)

Has anyone got these, are they any good, and what brands/ranges do people recommend?

I was looking at the Victorinox fibrox as they dishwash well and we're very impressed by the tomato utility knife we have from that range (always sharp), but apparently it is stamped steel and very light, which apparently might be bad and forged may be better?

These ProCook X50 ones look surprisingly affordable, but are they too cheap to be decent? We've just put up with a woeful set of KitchenCraft knifes that just don't stay sharp and I really don't want that hassle anymore. (by contrast an old GaryRhodes branded Richardson Sheffield knife from 2000 has never needed sharpening so clearly there are decent knives out there. I started by looking for that brand again but Richardson went bust in 2007, sold to Amefa, and now everything is made overseas. The low prices they sell for make me suspect as to the quality.
I use the procook x50 and they are very good knives indeed

beh

beh

Associate
I have a couple more expensive knives but the Victorinox santoku is the one I use most days. Had it several years, I don't abuse it too badly but it's held up well with only occasional sharpening.

Soldato
OP
I have a couple more expensive knives but the Victorinox santoku is the one I use most days. Had it several years, I don't abuse it too badly but it's held up well with only occasional sharpening.
Did you go for the plain or granton blade?

Soldato
Yes , I had the scalloped one too, now handed-down to parents; both that and its replacement zwilling santoku, stick - that was my disappointment with santoku.

the victoronix keeps an edge, but does feel a bit underweight for precision on heavier duty vegetables carrots/swede.

Back
Top Bottom