• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sapphire 280x toxic tearing/bad image in bf4

Associate
When i play bf4 i get DREADFUL image, the image is tearing, blips of mass tears across the screen.

The last time i had issues like this was years ago when i overclocked the gfx card too much, this seems like memory issues.

ive tried different settings, still no success. I'm using the latest ati drivers for windows 8.1 and thecard is running STOCK.

I have the following specs

280x sapphire toxic
intel i7 cpu
16gb ram
800w psu

Associate
Temperatures? I own a 280X Powercolor and I've also seen very light occasional artifacting after a few hours of pushing the GPU to 99-100% load. I would say it sounds like overheating memory. Btw I'm convinced this is actually a very common issue with the 280X, particularly on the brands that didn't focus on very high quality coolers. MSI is most frequently cited as having cooling problems but a BIOS update apparently fixed this, perhaps there is one in the pipeline for other cards too - that's what I'm hoping anyway :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Try the drivers that shipped with the card to see if different drivers make any difference.

Does it do it in any other games?

batman origins is fine, but ive only played it for an hour.

Temperatures? I own a 280X Powercolor and I've also seen very light occasional artifacting after a few hours of pushing the GPU to 99-100% load. I would say it sounds like overheating memory. Btw I'm convinced this is actually a very common issue with the 280X, particularly on the brands that didn't focus on very high quality coolers. MSI is most frequently cited as having cooling problems but a BIOS update apparently fixed this, perhaps there is one in the pipeline for other cards too - that's what I'm hoping anyway :(

i hope so, at the moment this is not ideal. its a big disappointment,

Can you take a screenshot?

Do you have V-sync on or off? Obviously having it off would cause horrible tearing...

v sync is on, makes no difference.

ill try get a pic now.

Associate
ive got the sapphire 280x toxic and my taskbar flickers all the time and today whilst playing BF4 had big sections turn blue green etc, im at a loss what it is. crysis 3 seemed to play ok i think i may have spotted a small amount not sure. Could it be the drivers or is it definately a memory issue. Ive not overclocked it so its running at stock. 13.11beta added support for the R9 line of cards but its useless because only beta 8 stops BF4 crashing so much.

Wonder if its a problem in general?

Associate
Im running the Toxic 280x too, having issues with odd graphics issues in various games ranging from minor things like this
2nvuv0y.jpg
in Dirt 3 to having various textures and models and stuff all over the screen in GW2. Its not happening all the time though so I cant tell what the issue is.

Anyone managed to figure out what the issue is yet?
Dodgy cards maybe?

Last edited:

Mei

Mei

Soldato
could be a bad card yeh, one thing worth trying is running it below stock and see if the problems go away
to see if its been binned wrong or has a defect

Associate
tbh i had no issues at all till i installed beta 8 drivers then the problems started coming in and doesnt matter what version of drivers i run the problems persist. Could AMD of hidden a bios upgrade to the card in the drivers and thats causing it to screw up?

Caporegime
I'd say core is not stable, try underclocking it and see if that fixes it and then you'll know if the card is faulty.

Factory overclocked cards are more trouble than they're worth.

Last edited:
Associate
Im running the Toxic 280x too, having issues with odd graphics issues in various games ranging from minor things like this
2nvuv0y.jpg
in Dirt 3 to having various textures and models and stuff all over the screen in GW2. Its not happening all the time though so I cant tell what the issue is.

Dodgy cards maybe?

Any driver past 13.11 beta 6 gives me that black checkerboard box every so often. I thought the card was a gonna.

Associate
I have a sapphire 7770 and i had that problem with some games. After updating my drivers it got fixed. Dont worry about the card. 280x toxic is a very good one

Caporegime
2nvuv0y.jpg

Dodgy cards maybe?

I have that exact same thing if i under-volt to much, turn the GPU core volts up a tad and it will go away.

are you overclocked?

Last edited:
Permabanned
I was thinking about getting this card,but heard it takes so much power to run 2 cards. was thinking of selling my 770 lightnings for 2 of these,but don't think my Corsair AX 850watt PSU could handle 2. I read you need at least 1000 watts. 2 780's would be fine on my AX 850. It's putting my off the toxic tbh.

Caporegime
I was thinking about getting this card,but heard it takes so much power to run 2 cards. was thinking of selling my 770 lightnings for 2 of these,but don't think my Corsair AX 850watt OSU could handle 2. I read you need at least 1000 watts. 2 780's would be fine on ny AX 850. It's putting my off the toxic tbh.

What you read is nonsense, a 750 Watt PSU is fine to run 2 280X. they use little more power than the GTX 770, its marginal.

Back
Top Bottom