1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sat Navs

Discussion in 'Motors' started by jp_bl_68, 18 Sep 2009.

1. jp_bl_68

Sgarrista

I've heard that you can get Sat Nav devices (or download the appropriate software/maps to your Sat Nav) that warn you about speed cameras. Does anyone here use one and, if so, do you find it helpful in avoiding speeding fines?

2. teulk

Wise Guy

Dont you know that speeding is illegal !?

If you really want the software / program that has a list of current speed cameras then go to the website of the satnav that you own - generally downloadable at a cost. My TomTom One XL came with speed camera locations already programmed in but any updates i will have to pay for.

3. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

Camera locations are useless, most of the ones programmed into my Nav are just the signs that say there are cameras about.

4. teulk

Wise Guy

I really dont know why you would need them anyway - SPEEDING IS ILLEGAL so dont do it.

5. PermaBanned

Capodecina

The one in my TomTom One has been pretty accurate so far. But yes, if you don't want speeding tickets then don't speed.

6. AJK

Wise Guy

Safety camera locations in my Garmin nuvi 310 are pretty accurate; it beeps for fixed locations (in both directions) and known mobile camera locations (obviously, regardless of whether there's one there - but it's good to know).

And yes, speeding is illegal. But on the off chance you're watching the road instead of your speedo and have accidentally crept up to 75 on a motorway, a satnav beep can save you points and pounds :)

7. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

:rolleyes:

When in an area I don't know and there are no road signs as to the limit and I spot a camera it's nice for my SatNav to say '30 camera' or whatever the speed is, to make sure I'm not exceeding the limit of the road.

8. MikeHunt79

Capodecina

My Navmax S80 makes a silly noise if a speed cam is near, tho sometimes it's a little wrong when roads are crossing, as it sometimes warns me of 30 limit cameras when on the motorway!

9. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

TomTom on my mobile does that, I find it amusing and annoying. :p

10. MikeHunt79

Capodecina

I wonder if anyone has actually slowed down to 30 on the motorway because of this? Could cause some rather irate HGV drivers! :eek:

11. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

I'd hope people have enough common sense to realise it's due to the other road...but knowing general public... :(

12. Vigoro

Mobster

Have you ever once in the time you have been driving gone .0000000000000001mph over the speed limit?

I bet the answer is yes. If so. Then all i have to say is

CHILD KILLER!

:mad:

:p

13. [SKR]Phoenix

Wise Guy

http://www.pogogps.com/

Cams on sat nav are a pain in the rear. I just pop my pogo on the mount, it auto starts and within a minute I am getting info on cams.

Use my phone for sat nav, not that often mind. Would be a pain to use it for cams also.

BTW. PogoGPS is the new versioin of OriginB2.

14. Scania

Capodecina

Sat Navs are great as a driver aid, trouble is, people tend to follow them literally and ignore common sence. They also seem to think that Sat Nav = no need for a road map as this muppet found out to his cost.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/8254387.stm

No, it was not me! :D

Interesting to see the BBC accurately (not!) reporting that the truck was carrying 40 tons of stock! - given that the maximum weight for an artic in the UK is 44 tons, that must be one very light tractor & trailer..... ;)

Last edited: 19 Sep 2009
  15. The Mad Rapper

Banned

Hmmm... :rolleyes:

16. BD10NNF

Wise Guy

I have a Garmin and it has fixed speed camera detector. It is helpful but I only use it when I need to get somewhere and I dont know where Im going, however if I dont know where Im going I normally stick to the speed limit just in case theres a police office with a gun waiting to pouce.

17. jp_bl_68

Sgarrista

Say you're driving on a motorway. It's late/early enough for there to be very little/no traffic but not so late/early that you feel tired. You're familiar with this particular stretch of road and weather conditions are fine. You're in a rush to get to your destination but it's not an emergency. In these circumstances would you stick to the speed limit or would you floor it? For me, that's a no brainer, so long as I know where the speed cameras are.

18. Tomsk

Soldato

If you're familiar with the stretch of road, then you don't need a sat-nav to tell you where the speed cameras are.

19. jp_bl_68

Sgarrista

Good point.

20. teulk

Wise Guy

OMG IM A MURDERER...............