Sat Navs

Soldato
No amount of road angels, sat navs will save you from unmarked police cars as a friend at work found out recently, doing 80 down an urban dual cariage way at night limit was 50mph.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Camera locations are useless, most of the ones programmed into my Nav are just the signs that say there are cameras about.

It's all down to the quality of the database. Most of the free ones you can get for TomToms and the like are rubbish.

I've used an Origin B2 for about 4 years now, update it before any major trip and it does me fine. Yes it's no replacement for keeping your eye out for cams, vans and speed limit changes, but in the event that you happen to miss a speed limit change (and it's not like councils never allow the bushes to grow and envelope the signs now, is it?) then a warning about the upcoming cam and a reminder of the current speed limit can be a life saver.

Like satnav itself, it's just a useful tool to aid your driving, not a replacement for your brain and eyeballs. Keep that in mind and it will serve you well.

It's pretty easy to justify them regardless of your take on speed cams.
If you believe the government line that they are there to save lives and are only placed at accident blackspots, then what's wrong with a device that informs you that you are approaching a particularly dangerous area.
If you actually have critical thinking skills (and a small amount of cynicism) and have come to the conclusion that they're just yet another scam, well, it's a device that helps you avoid getting scammed).

Back
Top Bottom