1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sata 2 v Sata 3 cable

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by nmungur, 16 Apr 2010.

1. nmungur

Associate

Hi,

I have taken delivery of my shiny new mobo and WD HD. In the box there is a SATA 2 cable. I am aware that there is a SATA 3 cable. The HD is a 6gb/s one. Does anyone know if there is a difference in data transfer using a 2 or a 3 cable?

I would have thought in theory a SATA 3 cable would give a large difference over a SATA 2, however I have been told that there is very little difference in transfer speeds between the 2...

Does anyone have any data to support or disporove? Or even any comments about how sunny it is today :)

2. TheVoice

Capodecina

Given how (comparatively) slow HDDs are, it won't make any practical difference at all.

3. Philtor

Soldato

SATA II cables are the exact same as SATA III cables. Don't forget it's the speed of the interface we are talking about here.

4. SMN

Wise Guy

Yup, the cable is just the medium. Its about the interface which controls the medium where your speed comes from. FWIW SAS uses the same cable also and those drives run twice as fast as SATA generally (15K vs 7.2K) - its all about the upper layers :)