1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA cable underneath mobo - safe?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Stu, 20 Oct 2009.

1. Stu

Wise Guy

I am building my first µATX rig and am finding cable routin more challenging compared to a full size form factor.

I have managed to run the SATA cable from the DVD drive UNDERNEATH the motherboard... i.e. in the space between the motherboard and the motherboard mounting tray.

Is this OK or a bad idea?

2. JonJ678

Capodecina

I've been doing this for a while, no issues yet. No doubt there are risks of things shorting if the thick insulation layer is pierced by a piece of solder.

3. xGaffner

Gangster

Can't see anything bad happening, seems fine to me.

4. Craig321

Capodecina

I don't see why not. Heat won't be a problem & it won't short unless you have an already broken SATA cable.

5. Stu

Wise Guy

Thanks for the quick replies! I stick with the plan.

6. daz87uk

Hitman

It will be fine, Ive had thick usb cables behind mine before and atm I got 2 sata cables running under the motherboard, never had any issues.

7. rxmac

Hitman

As long as the cable is free to move then it wont be a problem, if it is physically wedged / trapped by something then the insulation might get damaged / piereced which would cause issues.

This is obviously assuming you haven't taped it down, which i sometimes do ;).