1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA Driver needed?

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by pcknight, 4 Jun 2006.

1. pcknight

PermaBanned

I am just about to install a SATA Hard Drive and just want to know if i will need a SATA driver? The Operating system is XP Professional with SP2 already in it. Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. Messiah Khan

Capodecina

99% of the time.. no. Very rarely you might need SATA drivers, but if I was you i'd just go ahead with the install.

3. pcknight

PermaBanned

Thanks. I will give it a go.

4. kleox64

Gangster

Only if your using RAID or/and your using a discreet SATA controller i.e. not native to the motherboard chipset (Silicon image for example).

5. NightmareXX

Wise Guy

I've got a SATA Western Digital Raptor and windows finds that during setup just like a normal drive :) No worries.

6. pcknight

PermaBanned

Great, so its not down to the Motherboard but it is down to having XP with SP2?

7. NightmareXX

Wise Guy

No other way around :p It IS down to the motherboard AFAIK. Your mobo disk should have some SATA drivers on it anyway however windows will work perfectly with the generic ones.

8. pcknight

PermaBanned

Well, all done and no SATA drivers needed. All went fine. Didn't need 3rd party drivers! Thanks guys.