1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sata-dvd

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by kingnoob, 29 Sep 2009.

1. kingnoob

PermaBanned

iv noticed there are some sata drives out now and i was wundering if there was ane read speed increes in it ?

+ i was wundering is its werth geting a blue ray drive looks at the high prices ?
    blue ray at 79.99

2. sturmtruppe

Hitman

i dont think sata dvd driver offers any advantages over ide, except not having to use the crummy ide ribbon cable - which can be easily solved by buying a rounded ide cable that they sell on here.

Im also thinking of getting a blu ray player+dvd+rw drive, but not sure which one to get as there doesnt seem to be much choice still.

3. kingnoob

PermaBanned

do thay play normel cd's ?

4. mdjmcnally

Wise Guy

All that has changed is the interface! They still have the same capabilities as the IDE versions.

5. PermaBanned

Capodecina

Faster transfer speeds which you really won't notice. But SATA cables are so much nicer to work with. Not much price difference either, so i suppose the only other factor would be your motherboard. And maybe the PSU.

6. kingnoob

PermaBanned

so no diffrence just diff connector intresting >.<

7. mrk

Man of Honour

I've had SATA everything for almost 2 years now, much nicer to work with, IDE cables (even rounded) are still thick and hard to tidy.

There is no speed difference, you're still limited by the max rate of the media being written to or read from which is nowhere near SATA or IDE limits.

8. kingnoob

PermaBanned

ok thanks

no diffrence just easer to use :)

9. alex24

Capodecina

Yep, as you say. It's about time we rid ourselves of those horrible big cables. I haven't done a build with them for years now.

10. kingnoob

PermaBanned

agreed thay are nasty eavon then round raped ones what im using atm thay are not bendy and get in the way of evrything tbh i befer the ribons better >.< but better still sata is better then them two

11. Swordfish

Mobster

My 2 drives are IDE as boards now only usually have one IDE channel on them. I prefer to use the SATA ports on my board for my HD's. Dont see any difference in speed etc with IDE or SATA Optical Drives.

12. sturmtruppe

Hitman

Slightly unrelated, but why do sata devices have a seperate kind of power cable? they still use the same power as regular devices.

13. alex24

Capodecina

It's thinner and smaller I guess, makes things easier and neater, as well as being able to be used on 2.5" drives without an issue, just like the data connection.

14. breeza

Gangster

My last motherboard came with all sorts of diferrent power adapters. It would be nice if everything was standard.

15. kingnoob

PermaBanned

thats wish full finking >.<

16. breeza

Gangster

Nothing is ever easy :(