1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA II or Raptor 10k?

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by Phunky, 28 Feb 2006.

1. Phunky

Wise Guy

im after a new hard drive just for running XP off, now i was going to get a Raptor 36gb soley for the fact that it 10k RPM and should help increase load times a little.

But for the price i could get a fairly large SATA 1/II drive now i know a SATA II drive aint really that much faster but would i be seeing much improvement in load times?

basicly this is for CS Source and for the odd bit of video editing and DVD Authoring that i do.

Im just not sure what to do, i want better load time but more space would be nice :)

2. kinggost

Wise Guy

wil you ever fill the space in you hdd now or wil it take you ages if it will get the raptor there wkd

3. ken1307

Wise Guy

get 2x Hitachi 7k80 and RAID0 them ;) same price as an 36GB Raptor but way faster in RAID with NCQ, SATA2..etc and 150GB space :cool:

4. kinggost

Wise Guy

i only went for the raptor because less messing less to go wrong may be it is faster by how much and would you notice

5. Phunky

Wise Guy

I will always need more disk space, currently have about 40gb left which i could quite easy use up within a week. But then if i wasnt last and burnt of some stuff i could free up 100gb or so.

I only have 1 space SATA-II slot so cant really go for a raid setup without removing on of my current HDD's and there only on SATA-I slots.

It will mainly be for increasing game loading time (CS Source) and a bit of video/dvd editing.

Im just unsure the price will justify the slight speed increase

6. LordVader

Hitman

I would go for raptor, i have used most SATA II drive and all of them have been slower than my raptor.

It depends on how much space you need. I have got a 74Gig raptor and ok it gets close to filled sometimes but only when i have some images to burn. I can never personally understand ppl who need 500Gig space as thats A HELL of alot of data (Apart from in a media center maybe)

7. Phunky

Wise Guy

Yeah ive just got hold of a 74gb Raptor from the Member Market for £75

I need lots of space, never have enuff! Just going to split the Raptor 60gb for OS/Apps and 14gb just for Steam

8. darkblade

Hitman

Member Market...? Was this just someone contacting you advising they have 2nd hand drive for sale? Or am I missing something?

9. Phunky

Wise Guy

No one went up for sale this morning and i snapped it up straight away :D

10. Messiah Khan

Capodecina

You can access the members market once you have at least 250 posts and have been a member for at least 3 months. Very usefull place to pick up cheap hardware.