SATA Power Cable Caught Alight!

Associate
So I was working on a clients laptop where his hard drive was corrupted and wasn't loading Windows. I went through the process of elimination and decided I'd plug it into my test bench and load Linux up. After I plugged it in I the test bench and turnt it start smoking pure white smoke from the cable and I could see a bit of fire starting. Quickly I turned it off at the PSU and went to unplug the cable from the hard drive. The cable was very warm. Any ideas I'm thinking a short somewhere?
IMG_20170916_210949.jpg
IMG_20170916_211001.jpg

Associate
OP
Who knows, I'm going to attempt to recover the data tomorrow as I've been up since 4pm yesterday uk time tryna get my pattern on track

Soldato
Oddly I had the same issue a week ago on an all in one (fixed 100s of pc the is the first time I've seen it) it was the cable in my case - replaced cable everything ok

Soldato
Wonder if it could have been a misaligned sata pin in the connector?

If it was out of position, it could have crossed over another pin when you connected the HDD.

That connector looks like it has no blade cutting into the second cable, or is it just blackened where it got burnt.

Back
Top Bottom