1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA2 and PSU without sata connectors???

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by luismenendez, 28 May 2006.

1. luismenendez

Hitman

Hello there,

I think my PSU died. I was running memtest and I cut off the power and then when I tried to boot up the PSU make a quick electrical noise like click and I a little spark I can see through the window (Tt 480W Butterfly with a window) and nothing happens. Clear bios and still the quick noise and little spark.

I have another PSU to try but my hard drive is SATA2 and the spare PSU does not have sata conectors so I wonder if I can plug the sata 2 drive using the normal PSU power?????

thanks,

(I hope my mobo etc still OK ) :(

2. Orifice

Man of Honour

You can get connectors for about £1 that convert the standard 4 pin molex to sata power.

3. Messiah Khan

Capodecina

You shoul;d be able to hook your SATA drives up to normal 4 pin molex connectors. Thats how all of mine are connected. Just don't ever try connecting the molex AND the sata power connectors to one drive at the same time.

4. Borden

Mobster

Like Orifice said, you can get converters pretty easily. They are normally supplied with your mobo, so have a look in the box ;)
    How have you done that? Are the drives Western Digital as they're the only ones i know of which allow both types of connectors?

5. luismenendez

Hitman

Thanks for the anwsers.

I connected it to the normal molex and is ok.

6. Mikey1280

Wise Guy

Mine is hitachi and can be connected to either SATA or Molex

7. Messiah Khan

Capodecina

I thought most SATA drives were like that. All 3 of my SATA drives are Western Digital, so you might be right. But im sure most are like that.

8. Borden

Mobster

from what Mikey1280 said above i think it's you that is right ;)

My seagate only has the one power connection which is why i thought it was only western digital.

9. smids

Soldato

Only Hitachi and Western Digital use legacy 4 pin molex connectors. All other manufacturers as I understand it only use SATA power connectors.