Satisfactory Alpha release

Soldato
Just a personal thing really, but for me anything that has been epic exclusive is basically dead to me, plenty of other things to buy/play.

Maybe it will show up on the game pass some day, then I can play it on that, but I don't really want to reward devs/publishers for going the epic exclusive route.

Yeah looking forward to playing CS:GO on Origin

Soldato
Just picked this up on sale now at the Epic Games store, used a voucher from the last sale making it £14.29! Not bad, however I've noticed 2 versions I can download, experimental and alpha... Which do I install?

Soldato
Yeah looking forward to playing CS:GO on Origin

Can't compare that, Valve made CS:GO.

Epic didn't make Satisfactory.

It's actually even less apt than that... because EA have started listing their Origin titles on Steam again (since they've clearly come to realise that actually pulling everything form Steam and trying to do exclusivity on their own launcher has hurt their sales)

Man of Honour
It's actually even less apt than that... because EA have started listing their Origin titles on Steam again (since they've clearly come to realise that actually pulling everything form Steam and trying to do exclusivity on their own launcher has hurt their sales)

I've always wondered if we will ever see Blizzard put their stuff on Steam

Soldato
Can't compare that, Valve made CS:GO.

Epic didn't make Satisfactory.

In fact, beyond their self-made games, I don't think that Steam has any exclusives they have specifically gone after, they allow people to choose whether to sell on Steam or not.

Satisfactory was made on the Unreal Engine. You do realise competition is good for consumers, it drives down price and drives up quality? Epic competing with Steam like this forces Steam to create improvements to retain users and compete for games at good prices.

Soldato
Satisfactory was made on the Unreal Engine. You do realise competition is good for consumers, it drives down price and drives up quality? Epic competing with Steam like this forces Steam to create improvements to retain users and compete for games at good prices.

It doesn't though... Epic buying exclusivity for the title just means that any "competition" that might result in improvements in features is instantly over, because no matter what Steam does (or Epic doesn't do) at that point, people wanting to play the game have no choice but to use EGS

You're correct that competition drives down price and drives up quality, but Epic don't want to compete (as evidenced by their strategy)

Soldato

How is exclusivity promoting competition? It's a poor excuse. The devs/publishers are entitled to do what they will with their products, but it doesn't mean it should be applauded or supported. Likewise people can do what they want with their cash so I am not trying to say "Don't buy it", more that I won't personally.

Fwiw I don't think Steam is perfect, but at least they take a pretty neutral stance on most things.

The fact that Epic is trying to force people onto their platform by leaving no choice is the opposite of competition to me.

Man of Honour
With this update, I now rate Satisfactory higher than Factorio for me. If there are significant numbers of people who are avoiding it because its on Epic then I can see it exploding when it arrives on Steam

Associate
With this update, I now rate Satisfactory higher than Factorio for me. If there are significant numbers of people who are avoiding it because its on Epic then I can see it exploding when it arrives on Steam
Fancy giving us a quick run down why? I've got Factorio and have played with/without mods but I've not got Satisfactory nor have a followed it too much, so would be good to know. TIA.

Man of Honour
Fancy giving us a quick run down why? I've got Factorio and have played with/without mods but I've not got Satisfactory nor have a followed it too much, so would be good to know. TIA.

Mainly because its essentially Factorio, though without the pickers, but in 3d and its quite surprisingly just how much difference the 3d makes to the things you can construct. I'm finding it to be much more polished, its what I expect Factorio would be if Factorio had more of a budget and improved graphics etc. Constructing and deconstructing is easy to do and theres still so much more to come in the game yet before its full release. I love all the different biomes and the differences between them, the forest biome, desert biome, barren steppes, plains.

Factorio is of course much futher along in its development and its systems are more fleshed out at this point but I could foresee a time where Satisfactory has either caught up or surpassed it. Its extremely difficult to play Factorio and enjoy it and not enjoy Satisfactory, as they are almost identical games, just one in 2d and one in 3d.

If I had one request it would be more threats to your bases but its only a very early build still so plenty of time to add such things if they want to.

Associate
Mainly because its essentially Factorio, though without the pickers, but in 3d and its quite surprisingly just how much difference the 3d makes to the things you can construct. I'm finding it to be much more polished, its what I expect Factorio would be if Factorio had more of a budget and improved graphics etc. Constructing and deconstructing is easy to do and theres still so much more to come in the game yet before its full release. I love all the different biomes and the differences between them, the forest biome, desert biome, barren steppes, plains.

Factorio is of course much futher along in its development and its systems are more fleshed out at this point but I could foresee a time where Satisfactory has either caught up or surpassed it. Its extremely difficult to play Factorio and enjoy it and not enjoy Satisfactory, as they are almost identical games, just one in 2d and one in 3d.

If I had one request it would be more threats to your bases but its only a very early build still so plenty of time to add such things if they want to.
Awesome, thanks! I've been looking at it a bit and from the trailers/patch vids I've seen it does look good and I am interested. Though I'm waiting for the steam release which I know they teased in their last video.

Soldato
Update 3 has just landed along with the news of the Steam release and the update itself is massive.

A ton of stuff has been reworked, rebalanced and the game feels a lot better as a result. Adding pipes into the equation for carrying fluids brings a new complexity element to the game aside from the fact that they look GORGEOU...*rubs knees*

Man of Honour
Update 3 has just landed along with the news of the Steam release and the update itself is massive.

A ton of stuff has been reworked, rebalanced and the game feels a lot better as a result. Adding pipes into the equation for carrying fluids brings a new complexity element to the game aside from the fact that they look GORGEOU...*rubs knees*

Plus it has people tubes, like the tubes in Oxygen Not Included :D

Soldato
I'll certainly pick this up at some point as a huge fan of Factorio, but to me it just seems that although this might approach the depth of Factorio someday, I'm not sure that a game with the overhead of running in 3d will ever be able to match the scale of Factorio (e.g. when you get to the point in Factorio where your base is launching multiple rockets every minute and is just absurdly massive - to the point that even the basic graphics/updating are struggling to maintain themselves)...

It's not necessarily a huge negative on Satisfactory though, I don't see any reason why the 2 can't co-exist and as you say I imagine being able to work in the vertical is a game changer in terms of what sorts of things you can construct :)

Soldato

I love it, was my first game on Epic but I'll likely get it again on Steam - particularly if we get good multiplayer integration..

Back
Top Bottom