Saw "Up" last night....

Soldato
OP
I was distinctly unimpressed. I took my wife and 3.5 year old to see it. He was actually quite scared by some of the scenes with the chasing dogs, was bored by the first part (until the house takes off) and only really laughed when the met Kevin and Doug. As a kid's film I don't think it hits the right notes at all. Its good for older kids and adults but the fact that my son was bored said it all for me. He loves Nemo and The Incredibles but Up turned out to be waste of money.

At 3.5 kids cant really understand whats going on anyway so not surprised he didnt like it. Did he see Wall-e? The more modern Pixar films seem to be aimed more at the older child/adult than the early ones, and I personally prefer it.

Associate
"It is funny because the squirrel gets dead"
IMO Up is the best Pixar movie.

And for the record, I loved A Bugs life. Cars was poor and Ratatouille was average IMO.

Soldato
At 3.5 kids cant really understand whats going on anyway so not surprised he didnt like it. Did he see Wall-e? The more modern Pixar films seem to be aimed more at the older child/adult than the early ones, and I personally prefer it.
Really?

Took my 4 year old to see it and he loved it. Couldn't get enough of it. Only downside was he didn't like wearing the 3D specs for the whole movie. (Can't see it in English here in Belgium without 3D :( )

Apart from that it's a great movie. Moving thought provoking and funny really loved it.

Associate
I saw it on Saturday, was a good film although I watched it in 3D and didn't like it to be honest (the 3D). The glasses are annoying and make your eyes go gozzy after being sat there for over an hour.

But overall I thought the film was pretty good.

Man of Honour
I saw this last night - very good, as expected :)

It really was much more 'real' than other Pixar films in that it dealt with emotions on a much deeper level, such as obsession, grief and sadness.It was almost a polar opposite of WALL-E in that the emotions in that film were very simple or nieve, whilst Up saw more challenging 'problems'. The reports that the film was sad in places were absolutely correct & I certainly felt my eyes starting to wobble! Pixar films really have grown up and I like the new direction.

Secondly, it was just so unbelievably original. There was no conventional love story or any 'save the world' plot - just an old man longing to fulfil an old promise. Despite this, it was still very funny and sharp. I was quite moved, actually!

Excellent - 5/5

Last edited:
Permabanned
What is the fuss with WALL-E? Aside from the stunning visuals the film was crap, easily one of their worst.

Some people argue it's about the messages in the film, guess they flew right over my head I just thought it was a pretty dull film overall.

Soldato
Some people argue it's about the messages in the film, guess they flew right over my head I just thought it was a pretty dull film overall.

If they needed to be pointed out, you probably wouldn't care what they were if you knew them, better to be ignorant about it ;)

Unless you're just having a laugh and knew them, which I expcet is the truth, the messages were blatant and you'd need to be quite simple to miss them :)

Man of Honour
What is the fuss with WALL-E? Aside from the stunning visuals the film was crap, easily one of their worst.

The 'love' story between WALL-E and EVA was very much based on child-like emotions and naivety, something that wouldn't happen between humans aged above 6. As a result, WALL-E (the robot) had the intelligence and charisma of a lovable dog that just wanted to please, which I found to be charming and heart-warming. Few films can bring up that 'fuzziness' with almost zero dialogue.

Soldato
Ah... This thread has made my day. I was hopeful in the way that Pixar have never produced a film I've thought was anything short of spectacular. It's awesome to hear that this is no exception, I will be going to see it. :cool:

Soldato
I saw this on wed and <3 it.

I don't really see the point with the 3d in this film as to me it seemed pretty much non-excistent.

I really enjoyed the story and thought the characters were done really well, I think every home should have a Doug :D

Man of Honour
Has anyone seen it in 3D? I saw the film at my local in 3D the other week and was amazed by it! :o0

Rob

I saw it in 3D. I was initially disappointed that everything seemed a tad blurry, but my brain must have kicked in and refocussed my eyes since my vision was clear after 5 minutes. I thought the 3D was outstanding, particularly when you get a good visual of 3D cloud, although it didn't really add anything to the movie, ultimately.

Other notes:

I actually thought the Pixar short at the start of the film, Partially Cloudy, was pretty rubbish actually, by far the worst I have seen.

The remake of A Christmas Carol that was shown during the trailers looked awful :(

Soldato
Wow... I just got back from this and I didn't think I would say it *again*, but Pixar really have outdone themselves. This is a true masterpiece and I'm at a loss for words to describe how awesome I thought it was. I was in tears at parts, laughing my head off in others and at the edge of my seat throughout. What a stunning piece of work it is, and I thought the 3D was fantastic. It seems every time I see a Pixar film I say the same, but they just consistently produce awesome film after awesome film.

For anyone considering going to see it, the simplest advice I can give you is:

Do!

Back
Top Bottom