1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SB Audigy 4 Still OK?

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by Ph4lanx, 12 May 2010.

1. Ph4lanx

Gangster

Hi guys,

So after stripping down one of my old PCs I was pleasantly surprised to find a PCI Sound Blaster Audigy 4 sound card spare!

I was wondering, is it worth using this in my new PC (see sig) or am I better off buying the Xonar DX that I was intending to buy?

2. Angel_Rex

Hitman

Define OK :p

i would get the DX tbh it would be a much better card & more features.

3. Marsman

Capodecina

It depends on whether you are using speakers or headphones. With a HD5970, it's safe to assume you are a gamer. If you are using speakers only, then the Audigy 4 I think will be certainly good enough, but if you are using stereo headphones, the Xonar DX/D1 does have Dolby Headphone which is superior to CMSS found on the Audigy. Xonar's can have some issues with EAX 3 and upwards, so that is also something to factor in to your decision, whether or not you play games that utilise it, or if you even care about EAX.

It's probably best to try the Audigy out, because some of Creative's older cards can have driver and software issues with Vista/7. Having said that, Xonar's are not free from software issues either.

4. mysticsniper

Capodecina

I'm still using an Audigy 4 sound card with my ZZ5500, am not having any issues in games. :)

5. Ph4lanx

Gangster

I use headphones and speakers depending on what I'm doing. I think I'll go for the safe option and upgrade to the Xonar DX. Thanks guys :)

6. Superficial

Mobster

just to throw this in the mix: the x58A-UD3R does actually have dolby onboard and is actually better than the previous Ex58 series for sound

7. roadie

Mobster

I'm still using an Audigy 2 Value. It's been faultless then entire time I've owned it. I'd expect the Audigy 4 to be too.