SC Check - employement

Soldato
Any one have any experience of this?

I've been told by a potential employer that they would have to run an SC check on me before I can get a role.

I was arrested in 2001 for 'possession of a small bag of herbal marijuana'.

How does his work and would this stand against me?

---

Honestly the police should not dish out arrests willy nilly for small things if they are going to have a serious impact on the rest of a persons career. In 2001 I was around 1 year in to Uni. And it was a random stop and search as well.

Last edited:
Associate
I would think if its still on your record then that is that. Silly thing to do if you require a role in an job that requires SC clearance.

Soldato
You had a caution? Also bear in mind that if its with the DBS there are a list of activites that are required to be moved after X amount of years. This was a recent change to account for the passing of time, and maturity.

Caporegime
Yes I've had one. They are not as intense as developed vetting, just a background check really. I know a few people with minor convictions in the past who have passed it, including one with a conviction for wounding with intent. It's like defaults on a credit file. If they are long ago, they become less relevant over time unless they extremely major like terrorism.

Make sure you declare it though. Don't let them find out about it first.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Don't try and hide it and it's very unlikely to cause you an issue.

Also as Touch said, don't do illegal things if you don't want them to effect you in the future.

Soldato
OP
Yes I've had one. They are not as intense as developed vetting, just a background check really. I know a few people with minor convictions in the past who have passed it, including one with a conviction for wounding with intent. It's like defaults on a credit file. If they are long ago, they become less relevant over time unless they extremely major like terrorism.

Sounds like I should* be OK, but I imagine it's up to the discretion of the employer?

Also how does the process work, do I have to fill in a form or does the employer just request a check on me?

Soldato
won't need an interview for SC clearance. Just be honest and it'll be fine. It's good they're putting you through it as some jobs require it as a pre req rather than them putting you through it.

Man of Honour
OK. So I just declare in the paperwork that I was arrested in 2001 for possession and let whatever happen happen.

Yep.

They already know the answers to most things they ask you or can find out with little effort, it's as much to check you're not full of **** as it is to check you're not a terrorist.

Soldato
If the initial checks are ok, then you will most likely not need an interview. I didn't for SC, but did for DV. That was an entirely different matter.

Agreed, SC is fine, as long as you don't have any current convictions or on going proceedings, you should be fine.

DV is insane though. I had a bit of hassle due to my caution for assault which I declared on my application. Even more of an issue due to some family members! If you do go DV, make sure you take a copy of your completed paperwork, if you don't and you make a mistake with dates or something, it can seriously postpone renewals.

Soldato
OP
I was arrested. It wasn't a caution, it was an arrest. I had a quarter of marijuana on me.

It was a random stop and search in Earls Court. I full complied and didn't resist. They asked me if I had anything on me I shouldn't.

I said yes, some weed. They took me in the car to the station for processing.

Finger prints, DNA everything was taken.

They did say to me though that the record or the evidence only lasts for 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom