Scan a network drive structure and report back access.

Soldato
To cut a long story short, we need to be able to identify all the folders on a very large and complex network share that a user does not have access to, for example:

M:\HR - Access denied
M:\IT - Access fine
M:\IT\Subdirectory1
M:\IT\Subfolder1
M:\IT\Subfolder2
M:\IT\Private folder - Access denied
M:\Engineers
M:\Engineers\Subfolder1
M:\Engineers\Subfolder2 - Access denied

etc.

This will help us determine which folders we still need to request access to before we copy all the data off that share onto new storage.

Is there an application that I can run that will tell me what I need to know? Robocopy (/L switch) tells me that it cannot access 17 directories but will not tell me which directories and I'm running windirstat in the hope it'll provide some error handling that'll show the 17 directory names.

Thanks in advance!

Caporegime
Isn't adding /V to robocopy going to give you what you want? You may need to do some parsing of it afterwards.

Soldato
OP
Isn't adding /V to robocopy going to give you what you want? You may need to do some parsing of it afterwards.

Robocopy seems to be very file-orientated, so it'll tell you if it can't access a file but it seems to ignore all the directories it can't access (except for telling you that it failed to access 17 in the summary at the end).

Back
Top Bottom