Scared of my brand new motorbike

Soldato
I'd like to say that its perfectly normal......but to be honest I dont think I've met anyone that felt the way you did about the CBT. Most people love it - sure, they're a bit nervous - but the whole worrying none stop about what damage you might do to yourself if you crash is, well, a little unusual.

The advice above is pretty good - just take it onto some quiet roads or just round the block. Maybe you just get extra nervous when people are watching you and it will all click when you're out by yourself. Or maybe you're just not a thrill seeker or risk taker and consider ultimate safety to be your priority, in which case bikes probably aren't for you.

Sounds like you've got a great wife though - I wish mine would surprise me with a brand new bike on the drive!

Man of Honour
I'd like to say that its perfectly normal......but to be honest I dont think I've met anyone that felt the way you did about the CBT. Most people love it - sure, they're a bit nervous - but the whole worrying none stop about what damage you might do to yourself if you crash is, well, a little unusual.

I agree, it's not normal and the only time I've seen people feel this way is after a big motorbike accident. It might just not be for you. If you really are worrying that much.

either way man upto your wife. Then try riding in a quite place and see what happens.

Associate
Where are you based? I assume you don't have any biker friends who can help you out - ride pillion or something, get used to the speed.

Just take it easy :)

Can you go out for another day 1:1 with an instructor - Pass plus style - get some confidence up?

Permabanned
OP
SouthWest London. Traffic hell basically.

I've kind of made a decision based on the vast majority of people above suggesting a 'man up' approach. Saturday morning at first-light (quietest time of day, with good visibility!) I'm going to spend at least 2 hours going round my estate, then see how I feel.

I think one reason for my problem was that the instructor b*llocked me all day. I work in a professional environment where no-one ever speaks to me like that, a quiet word in an office is about the worst b*llocking I've got in 15 years .... so I just formed the conclusion I must be absolutely completely hopeless (then he kept telling me to relax and seemed genuinly upset when he asked if I was enjoying it and I said 'No, I'm not at all')!!

Last edited:
Associate
Where are you based? I assume you don't have any biker friends who can help you out - ride pillion or something, get used to the speed.

Just take it easy :)

Can you go out for another day 1:1 with an instructor - Pass plus style - get some confidence up?

Exact same thing I was about to suggest!

Try and either go out with some experienced friends (ones who wont take the ****) or book some lessons with an instructor to try and build up your confidence.

PS: You big girls blouse! :p

Associate
How long was your CBT?
Sounds a poor job by the instructor tbh, nervous 1st time out for sure, thats to be expected - but to be left feeling how you are after the days training/test is not right.
The difference in quality of instruction can vary wildly tbh, i know of training schools that will have you through your CBT in around 1 hour, i also know of a training school that takes all day to put you through your CBT, i would quite honestly approach another training school to the one you used for your CBT tell them how you feel and get some proper instruction, it will make a massive impact on your confidence level.

lol, seems as i was typing this i got beaten to it, poor show by the instructer/school.

Last edited:
Soldato
Trust me mate, get on it, now your not being trained, go at your own pace, you will eventually like it :D

ags

edit: where you from? If you are near reading I will pop along and give some tips if you like.

Associate
its out of your comfort zone thats all. you have to push it untill you feel comfortable. keep riding like a girl untill you feel confident then juice it up abit. All sounds like a mid life crisis tbh

Also your wife sounds great to support you on this, my gf said she would leave me if i get a bike :(

Soldato
its out of your comfort zone thats all. you have to push it untill you feel comfortable. keep riding like a girl untill you feel confident then juice it up abit. All sounds like a mid life crisis tbh

Also your wife sounds great to support you on this, my gf said she would leave me if i get a bike :(

Yeah my gf hates the idea of me getting a bike at some point. Only thing that's stopping me is my lack of garage and it will just go missing.

Associate
If you were a little closer I'd pop over and teach you how to ride. Sounds like you had a bad experience with the CBT and could just do with a guiding hand for a few hours until you get your head around it.

The bike you have is very capable for a 125 and wont feel scary at speed or out of control at any point. It has enough go to keep up with traffic easily and yet not so much as to startle a new rider.

Also try to realise that if you do have the misfortune and bad luck to drop the bike or crash you are more than likely going to get straight up with a bruise and a bit of a sore ego and then pick the bike up and ride off. Especially on a 125 while learning you have probably had worse accidents falling down in the house or while cycling!

Take your time, approach your Saturday morning ride with a positive attitude and try to enjoy it. Riding a bike is a mental exercise, not a pysical one. Concentrate on your throttle and clutch control to start with. Make every movement a gradual one. Easy on, easy off with the brakes.

Associate
I would NOT look at getting it restricted either, being restricted to 30/35mph is scarier than being able to go at 50/60mph and keep with the flow of traffic rather than be holding it up, i work at a bike dealers and part of my job is to test ride the bikes, believe me a restricted scooter with a lorry or bus breathing down your neck is less comfortable than a 2.3litre with enough grunt to ripple the tarmac.

Soldato
Ill be honest I crapped myself when I first rode too, I also had to do many hours with instructors to master roundabouts, which im sure many of the riders on here will be shocked at as many have seen how I ride now :p
But I was out all the time I could even if it was around the block getting used to it.

Back
Top Bottom