Scaring my sister into stopping P2P

Soldato
Trust me mate. No one cares. Hundreds of millions of people are doing it right now. and 500 songs is NOTHING. they bust people who are uploaders now, and this is only people with like 30,000 songs. Don't worry about it.

Associate
Think software and movies is the big *thing* at the moment. Having songs in into the three figures isn't much. I got caught out by the movie something association because I uploaded something to a server in America and it transferred something like 1tb : / They just sent me an email telling me to 'cease and desist' - nothing beyond that.

Remember that 'Piracy funds terrorism!1one' zomg - you wouldn't steal a car would you?
Christ, their anti-piracy campaigns are indeed laughable. Scaremongering ***.

Associate
My sister dls using P2p too and it hacks me off simply because it messes up the family computer (dunno what crap program shes using, but its getting virii)... not because its illegal

I wish i was a famous musician so I could publically endorse downloading mp3s :(

Soldato
-White-Knight- said:
Sounds like a great idea. The only problem is the one she uses many of her friends do, so it'll be a bit funny if ours doesn't yet everyone else's does. I'm just looking what port this P2P uses and seeing how to block it. It's connected to a WGR614v5 router via WiFi, I've done port forwarding but not blocking. I assume it's fairly straight forward?

Just make sure she doesn't get too worried and end up commiting suicide! :eek:

Soldato
Google PeerGuardian 2. Very useful tool.

Anyway 500 songs is nothing, people on here go on about having 1tb of storage. What do you think they need that much space for?

If you want to scare her though, either write a fake letter or email from your ISP. Something like "500 kittens died from starvation today, as Girls Aloud lost 5p from 1 song." should also do the trick. :o

Suspended
I love the people posting in here who think there are no consiquences :p

As someone who works at a ISP I can tell you there are ;) You should see the size of our abuse queue.

At the least you are putting your connection under threat, if you are still in a minimum contract period tough luck, your connection will be closed but you will have to carry on paying your min sub period.

At the most .... well lets just say I have seen quite a few data release forms come from various police officers.

Suspended
jidh007 said:
Of course there are consequences. I just ignore them. Data release forms doesn't signify much, cases have to be prepared etc. - Some even being dubious and such. Isn't it a lot of hassle for ISPs?

Hassle? ISPs have departments and people dedicated to dealing with it. Data release forms signify a lot, it means a case has been made before a judge so its being taken very seriously indeed.

Suspended
put a filter on her IP then just say its spyware. it works on my housemates!

her connection wont do anything then, as she comes and see's yours working she may stop. pretend to rid some crap off her machine then unblock it. if she starts again just put the filter back on. and dont jurn it off for a week or so

Soldato
Pho said:
That's nothing compared to what most people have; I know the RIAA etc do tend to pick on people like your sister but I'd of thought they'd be more intered in the bigger downloaders.
There not, they're only intrested in big uploaders

Soldato
Tommy B said:
I love the way people seem to think that Torrents are safe.

They are worse than P2P.

lol...

oh and yes, 500 songs doesnt even begin to scratch the surface of the collections of some people I know.

Tell her if she likes p2p then to live in halls at uni, I could probably download 5000 songs in an hour here with complete ease and no fear of being caught, not that you'd catch me doling things like that though.

Caporegime
If shes using a program like limewire just tell her whenever she is connected anyone with the same software can see all the programs on her computer and download them. That would stop some people.

Back
Top Bottom