Scaring my sister into stopping P2P

Associate
Net Send is your friend. :D Are there 2+ Pc's in the house?

If the Messenger (not MSN Messenger) service is running on both PCs, simply type:

net send compname message

into DOS. A window pops up on their PC with the message. :D I can't remember, but if it displays your computer name, simple set it to "Anti-Piracy" or somrthing. I did it to my brother, not only did it scare the **** out of him, he asked me what to do a few days later. :D

I just said something like, "To whom it may concern, we are monitoring your connection and we will be taking action if you do not cease your downloading... etc".

Soldato
-White-Knight- said:
As much as I have explained that it's illegal and we'll face huge fines they refuse to listen.

How many people that you know have been fined :confused: Everybody does it anyway.

Associate
IIRC RRIA cant touch UK folk.

500 songs. . thats nothing. The people being targeted by these kind of groups share hundreds of gigabytes every day. The small cases where people get taken to court for downloading a few songs are just for show.

Soldato
Lagz said:
IIRC RRIA cant touch UK folk.

500 songs. . thats nothing. The people being targeted by these kind of groups share hundreds of gigabytes every day. The small cases where people get taken to court for downloading a few songs are just for show.

But the RIAA has a seemingly random targeting system. Apparantly the RIAA can't touch us here in France but a neighbour here got a letter through for sharing 300 songs. (I think it was a €2000 fine) Now I won't go into my activity but I will state I'm a worse person than him for downloading stuff, and I use BitTorrent (apparantly worse) and he uses Limewire. (I think, some P2P)

Interestingly enough there was a demonstration here today (yes, more strikes and people taking time off work!) to say "no" to the RIAA fining people in France. :)

Soldato
The thing is half the stuff I download I wouldn't buy in the first place.

Any music I feel is worth of my money gets bought straight away - my CD collection accounts for at least 75% of my MP3s :)

(Not that I'm not trying to endorse it or anything! :o )

Associate
I got a confession to make...

I used to copy my mates Commodore 64 tape games on my Aiwa hifi. I must have about 4,000 games... most of which I never paid for! They've been sitting away for the best part of 20 years in my attic, I feel sooo guilty about it! :(

:p

Soldato
iCraig said:
Songs are so cheap on iTunes these days, its not exactly expensive to pay for music.

Do these same people drive off without paying for petrol?

True, I admit I used to download quite a bit but mainly to get into bands I hadn't heard before and I don't regret it as i've got into a lot of good music from it.

But that was before stuff like iTunes was availble, now if you've heard about a band you think you might like, you can download a couple of songs, then if you like the band just go out and buy the album.

Suspended
Cueball said:
I got a confession to make...

I used to copy my mates Commodore 64 tape games on my Aiwa hifi. I must have about 4,000 games... most of which I never paid for! They've been sitting away for the best part of 20 years in my attic, I feel sooo guilty about it! :(

:p

:eek:

*dials 999*

Pho

Pho

Soldato
iCraig said:
Songs are so cheap on iTunes these days, its not exactly expensive to pay for music.

Do these same people drive off without paying for petrol?

They may be pretty cheap for the odd song but it soon adds up. For instance, if I were to buy my (legal) music collection on itunes it would cost me about £4k, (and its pretty small compared to some) for which I could get a pretty nice car (and perhaps a tank of petrol ;)).

Associate
I can't see there's going to be much problem, as most have stated.
I remember a few years a ago someone I know get an e-mail from his isp saying they had been contacted by some film company saying that he'd been detected uploading movies (p2p type upload).
He immediately sent a (really, really well written) e-mail back saying something along the lines of it being completely false and they had no evidence, and that if he would continue to receive these e-mails which he viewed as harassment then he would close both accounts with immediate effect (he had two isp accounts and a phone line with the same company) and would proceed to take them to court!
I found it a bit strange, but he's never has a problem since.... :)

Suspended
As far as I'm aware, nobody has been sued for downloading material so far - only for uploading. They should be perfectly safe if they're only downloading, particularly as the UK seems to be slow to take up the US's idea of prosecuting consumers.

I could be wrong, though, and if anybody knows otherwise I'd be interested to hear from them.

Back
Top Bottom