Scirocco 2.0 TDI noise under hood

Associate
Hello everyone,

I own a scirocco 2.0 TDI 2013 it's on 55k miles and 2 weeks ago I noticed a weird click noise coming under the hood for first time when car was in neutral. I continued to drive the car and I noticed the rackling noise some times comes on and off. The worst it has been was when it was in neutral one time it was constantly rackling. Sometimes it comes on and stays another times it doesnt. The clutch doesnt slip and is very responsive to aggressive clutch riding which I done for test purpose. I went to a mechanic and after few attempts I was able to replicate the sound and the mechanic told me that the flywheel is gone. They tried to charge me £550 for the clutch kit at the garage however I found one for £375 which I still believe I could have got cheaper. I think the noise might be the bearing itself on clutch? What do you guys suggest? I'm booked in with the garage for Wednesday and they charging me £400 for labour. I'm worried that they might just replace the bearing and keep my new clutch kit. Sorry for long explanation and thanks

Caporegime
Dual-mass-flywheel failure is common on these engines, and will cause vibration when using the clutch and pulling away, as well as a rattling sound especially when in neutral and/or in gear with the clutch pedal depressed.

It sounds like the mechanic you took it to has diagnosed it as such, which, assuming that they listened to the noise themselves and did some basic checks, seems fine to me. 55K is fairly low mileage for DMF failure, but it is far from unheard of.

If you are worried that the garage is going to pull a fast one somehow, just ask them to leave the old parts in the boot. They are technically still your property, so they have to oblige.

Also - If the noise is slight, and you can't yet feel any concerning vibrations, you could very well just ignore it. You will be able to feel it as it gets worse, vibrations will worsen, you might even get some clunking from the gearbox area, but assuming you don't change gear like the incredible hulk, it should be tens of thousands of miles before it gets that bad.

A lot of people just leave it until such time that they can have the clutch and flywheel replaced in one go, because both are worn out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Who cares what his first post is? Why do we even have a motors forum if we can only talk about computers?

Because most people that use this section are already members, if you are going to sign up fresh to a forum, just to ask a question about a car, it makes more sense to sign up to a dedicated car forum...

Caporegime
Because most people that use this section are already members, if you are going to sign up fresh to a forum, just to ask a question about a car, it makes more sense to sign up to a dedicated car forum...

It does. But what does it matter if it doesnt make sense. Someone probably told him the motors section on OcUK is the place to post.

This poor guy. :p

Associate
OP
Hey all first of all I want to apologise I didn't know that the forum requirement first post requirement was about computers indeed I was requirement this forum to post car enquiries. Going back to the car yes it's a diesel but it's not bad. The mechanic told me that I wont be able to drive long on this flywheel as it collapsed and it could damage the gearbox any minute. He diagnosed this by simply listening for 30 seconds to the noise. I will ask them for the parts but I'm worried they might give me some old parts who knows‍♂️

Soldato
Nice to see you completely missed the point still, that signing up to vw car forum would have made more sense, but I guess it's either something you have or don't have

Soldato
Nice to see you completely missed the point still, that signing up to vw car forum would have made more sense, but I guess it's either something you have or don't have
And this is why people get put off from posting and don't come back, absolutely no need to have attacked the OP for choosing to use OCUK Motors as a first port of call. It's quite probably one of the better places to chose as there is a wide variety of vehicle knowledge on here, not just a bunch of one marque/model fanboys. Sadly though it has immature people that will attack others for choosing to ask a question rather than just keeping quiet and/or helping.

Anyway, OP, are you able to take it to another mechanic to get their view on things? If it is a problem with the flywheel then it won't be cheap to fix, you have to remember it's not just parts but labour also involved in removing the gearbox and old components.

Soldato
I'm not sure quite what you're expecting from us, it either needs a second opinion (get it towed elsewhere) or you accept what the mechanic is saying. It sounds like you've gone ahead with the latter anyway?

I doubt a specific VW club would advise any different.

In my experience mechanics don't really like to fit customer supplied parts, they will on occasion but I've faced resistance in the past. Probably because they want to charge a markup on parts but also because they then trust the parts they bought as it saves back and forth if you supply parts that break.

Having said that, be weary of cheap parts online, you do tend to get what you pay for, assuming you've done your research on the different brands (potential can of worms) but I find the market is flooded with cheap parts and dubious manufacturing processes and poor quality materials to reduce the price. I'm in the process of returning some parts that appear to have been welded together by aa 5 year old, although I reckon a 5 year old could probably do better.

Last edited:
Associate
problem is fitting customers supplied parts is when they go wrong again or plainly just dont fit. sometimes it false economy , if the garage supplies the parts and there is a problem then the onus is on them to sort it.
after many years in business i got to a point of refusing to fit own supplied parts because if they failed the argument always eventually came back as it was the fitters fault incorrectly fitting it.

no garage wants a customers car parked in bits whilst the owner is argueing with a parts supplier it can screw up a workshop for space.
used to do diag for a ford dealer and they had a mondeo with dmf failure customer supplied parts , it failed again within a few weeks so they stripped it out showed the customer the fault and gave him the parts back, he saved 300 pounds on the original bill........but then it cost him for genuine ford parts to put it right , i gather in excess of a 1000 pounds. so it doesnt always work out best to go cheap. but at least he had a guarantee btw from what i understand he never got his money back for the parts he supplied as the supplier just fobbed him off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom