Scoring from corners/crosses in PES5: Any tips?

Soldato
Been playing this for a while now, and I've got the hang of going through the middle and sticking it in the back of the net.

But from the wing with crosses or from corners, it all seems like its just "pot luck" if you connect with it or not, not to mention whether the ball lands in the place you intended it to do so.

Any tips for scoring from crosses or corners? :cool:

Associate
I've scored one corner before and it was pretty lucky basically;

*When you go to place where you want the ball to go, Basically put it just next to the line so it looks like it will go off when you kick it.
*Use just under 3/4 power and hold the dpad right or left for where you want it to bend
*Tapping down on the dpad might help with it lobbing the keeper aswell

Pretty basic guide there, probably didnt make sense :(

*Edit* And obviously substitue D pad etc for the PC controls, I dont know them unfortunatly.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Draeger said:
Been playing this for a while now, and I've got the hang of going through the middle and sticking it in the back of the net.

But from the wing with crosses or from corners, it all seems like its just "pot luck" if you connect with it or not, not to mention whether the ball lands in the place you intended it to do so.

I don't find it too bad. You have to wait for the attackers icon to start blinking before you get the cross in. You can cross it in the air (1 tap), cross it around chest height (2 taps) or cross it along the ground (3 taps). You can also play it to the far post or near post by holding L1 or R2, I think. It might be L2 and R1 :confused: As for corners, I always play it to the near post and hope for a flick on. Have a look at a few PS2 guides for help with the different combos etc.

Soldato
The onyl time i've scored from corners is when i've noticed a player near the front post (outside the 6-yard box) on his own. Hit it with just under halfway power and if you're lucky and no one has picked him up - it'll go right to him and you can score a pretty spectacular volley. I've done it a couple times now. Against mates on the PS2 btw.

Also, i never realised about the players flashing. So that means its a good time to cross? In normal play as well? Free kicks? :confused:

Soldato
Draeger said:

Some tips:

Single Tap Circle (assuming you are using PS2 pad) - Normal high cross
Double tap Circle - Chest level cross (i do these most of the time)
Triple Tap Circle - On the floor cross (great if the striker gets goalside of defender)

Assuming you are crossing from the right wing, attacking left, so bottom of the screen.

When crossing hold:

Up - cross to back post
nothing - penalty spot
Down - front post.

Combine them when you can see where you man is and you should be able to get on the end of the crosses more often

Corners
Try and wait until some attackers move and get in front of their defender and only use half the power gauge to get a low cross in for them to header/volley.
also when shooting/heading, keep tapping the button as much as possible as this helps barge people out the way.

hope some of this helps, if you knew it already, sorry.

Oh and also, if you hold L1 and press Circle wherever you are on the pitch it puts the ball towards the penalty spot, which can be good for early crosses.

edit: lol, just read other posts, someone already posted all of this

Soldato
one thing i also tend to do its turn and put it in with a double tap cross and hold left (if attacking right) or right (if attacking left) this sometimes puts a great ball to the edge of the box for a midfielder who is running in, either for a diving header, volley, or control it then shoot

Associate
ScarySquirrel said:
Some tips:

Single Tap Circle (assuming you are using PS2 pad) - Normal high cross
Double tap Circle - Chest level cross (i do these most of the time)
Triple Tap Circle - On the floor cross (great if the striker gets goalside of defender)

Assuming you are crossing from the right wing, attacking left, so bottom of the screen.

When crossing hold:

Up - cross to back post
nothing - penalty spot
Down - front post.

Combine them when you can see where you man is and you should be able to get on the end of the crosses more often

You can also pull the opposite way to the way you are running, which will put the ball roughly on the edge of the area, depending of course on how deep you are when you hit the cross (basically it pulls it back a lot). Tends to end with me chesting it down or volleying with the AMF.

Other than that the double and triple tap are my most used, and very effective if you use the R2 button to move your CF slightly away from the defender as the ball comes to them.

With corners its all about picking someone out, you need to know how your guy takes his corners, learn his power and curl. Often corners towards the front post can very effective if your oppenent does not mark up properly, you can bring your striker infront of the defenders slightly and nick the ball in.

If that option is out then I usually send one pretty deep to the edge of the area, these rarely go in but are usually dangerous at least.

I bought this a while back: 'Pro Evolution Soccer 5, The Official Guide by Piggyback', improved my game loads.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sutters said:
With corners its all about picking someone out, you need to know how your guy takes his corners, learn his power and curl. Often corners towards the front post can very effective if your oppenent does not mark up properly, you can bring your striker infront of the defenders slightly and nick the ball in.

Just adding to that, Its useful to pick out the Taller guys (obviously) but also see who good strength, and wont easily get shrugged off the ball. As Sutters said, if you know how your guy takes corners then you should be able to put the ball exactly where you want everytime, and remember you can add curl to the ball, i find outswinging corners work well for me

Back
Top Bottom